twenty-six.

H a z e l

When Hazel woke up that morning, something in her told Hazel that it was going to be a bad day.

Hazel didn't want to believe it. She had never liked bad days. She hated bad days. Who even liked bad days? There wasn't something for her to dread either. It wasn't like she had some major paper due or a test she had spent most of the night cramming for. There was nothing immediate for Hazel to worry about, so she had no idea why she felt this way.

She tried her best to make that feeling go away. Hazel put on her favorite music, letting it play quietly in her room as she got ready that morning. She put on one of her favorite outfits that always made her mood better, regardless of the situation.

When Hazel walked outside her home to meet Thalia and then later met up with Annabeth, Annabeth commented, "Well someone definitely looks cute today."

"You sound like Piper's half-sister Silena," Thalia pointed out with a laugh as the trio began the trek to school in the cold November weather. "Not that you don't look great today."

"Thanks, you guys," Hazel responded with a smile. "Woke up today feeling like it was going to be a bad day, so I'm trying to do everything possible to make it the opposite."

"You know what? I respect that," Thalia said, earning loud laughs from the two other girls. "We all know a certain boy in your Art class is definitely going to think you look super good today."

"Like he doesn't think that any day," Annabeth winked, causing Hazel to duck her head out of embarrassment. The trio approached the rest of their friends standing at the entrance, where they could see their friends huddling together in the cold. Even Calypso, the girl who was almost always warm, was pulling her winter coat tight around her. "How's it going with him, by the way?"

Hazel sighed and couldn't help but sneak a glance at the boy in question, who was leaning against his car and talking with his friends in the parking lot. "Same old, same old. He's just Frank, you know?"

"Who's massively in love with you," Rachel pointed out with a mischievous grin. "I've seen the way he looks at you while you're in art class. It's kind of adorable, to be honest."

The whole group laughed and looked at me knowingly. Fortunately for Hazel, the group turned to another topic, which seemed to be about the horrible assignment they had all submitted weeks ago for their History class. "Apparently we're getting the grades for those awful DBQs we did a few weeks ago back today," Reyna commented.

Hazel looked up at Reyna with wide eyes. "She didn't say anything about getting our papers back!" She exclaimed in a terrified voice.

"Silena's in her sixth period and she said Mrs. Combe mentioned that we'd get them back, and honestly I'm terrified," Reyna complained as she braided her long dark hair. "The AP test is in May, and I'm even more scared for that than I am for the SATs."

"I still have no clue what to do for SATs," Thalia joked. "I'm going to just wing it and hope for the best."

"That's not the way to do SATs," Annabeth shot back. "We can all study together so I make sure you don't do that."

"Of course you would suggest that," Calypso joked. "Your inner nerd is showing again, Annabeth."

"Inner? Rach, I've always been a nerd. That's what I'm known as."

"Are you just called a nerd? Or are you also called..." Rachel wiggled her eyebrows. "Wise Girl?"

"If you don't shut up–"