{prologue}

Seonbi's agonizing screams were the only sounds ripping the silence of the palace grounds, ending the dreams of the asleep and prompting prayers from those who had laid awake. Taehyung sat next to his bedridden fiancee, reassuring her and holding her hand as best he could in her bonebreaking grip. Tears were streaming from her eyes, and she could barely form words to describe the pain that ripped through her body.

"Breathe, Seonbi," Hoseok said, calmly placing a hand on her stomach. Looking over at Taehyung, he reassured him with an empathetic glance before continuing his work. As Hoseok sat between Seonbi's spread legs, Taehyung grabbed a piece of cloth and wiped the sweat off her forehead.

"Push."

Seonbi contorted her face into a torturous expression, reviving the worry in her beloved's countenance. All he could do was let her hold his hand and continue to wipe the everlasting perspiration from her brow.

"Breathe, Lady Hae. You're almost there!" Hoseok nodded, taking up a warm cloth from a small table next to him and holding it next to the opening between her thighs. Seonbi responded with a low groan, still unable to speak clearly. At this point, Taehyung's hand had gone numb from the tightness of his partner's squeeze, but he refused to take it away from her. Offering support was the least he could do, and if that meant losing all feeling in his right hand, then so be it.

With a final groan, Seonbi pushed with all the might she had left in her small body.

"Here they come," the doctor said, sitting up in anticipation for the new life to meet the world. Taehyung's eyes strained with fatigue, worry and weariness, but they refused to close right when his fiancee was about to become a mother. He watched as with a few quick movements of his arms, Hoseok presented Seonbi's crying firstborn child.

Too tired to cry for joy, Seonbi took and held the baby to her breast, soothing its wails for the time being. Besides the panting of both the mother and father of the child, the morning was quiet -- peaceful, even. Marked by the soft morning songs of sparrows and the most brilliant of first lights, all of nature seemed to know that a baby was being born that day.

"A girl," Hoseok smiled, standing next to a proud, teary-eyed father. Gently pressing his lips on the babe's forehead, he ran his finger over the soft skin of his new daughter, amazed at the smooth touch.

"What will her name be?" Hoseok asked, looking over the young couple with a warm, protective gaze. Taehyung looked over at Seonbi, wrapping a loving arm around her shoulder and looking into her eyes. Seonbi smiled back at Taehyung, happier than she had ever been in her life.

"Rinji," she whispered, trailing her thumb over the cheek of the sleeping baby. "Her name is Rinji."