eight

The wet hem of Seokjin's left sleeve darkened the warm fabric's color, and it stood out against the dry lightness of the rest of his robe. It served as a sponge for the regent's incessant tears, and it wasn't long before a semi-circle the size of Seokjin's hand was drawn on the sleeve with the rain that fell from his glossy eyes.

"Love," Namjoon began, holding his arms out to embrace his other half for the last time. Seokjin immediately threw himself into Namjoon's arms, bawling out the sorrow he had buried deep inside him. He cared not for the people behind him, the court lords and ladies that pitied his depressing existence, the Elder Council that scoffed to themselves and turned their noses up at his behavior.

"I'll do my best for you, Namjoon-- I promise, I"--

"It's all going to be alright. I trust you, I believe in you, I know you'll do great."

"How do I run a country...?" Seokjin asked, showing no sign of calming down.

"Just listen to that little voice in your heart that guides you. Remember that I'm here with you in spirit, Seokjin."

Nodding his head, the regent took a deep breath and tried his best to relax. Smoothing his hands over Namjoon's robe, he took Namjoon's palm and placed it once more on his face. Namjoon smiled at his blessing, caressing his face with a gentle touch.

"You have the food I packed you?" the regent mumbled, now barely whispering.

"Yes, love," Namjoon nodded, looking into Seokjin's eyes. "I'll remember you with every bite I take."

"And...you have paper? And ink? Your brushes?"

"All of them. Expect a letter from me often, love."

Thinking of other things he might've missed, Seokjin leaned his cheek into Namjoon's hand again.

"You have your sword?"

"I have my sword."

"And..." the regent trailed off, now whispering to Namjoon.

"You have my love with you, Namjoon. Don't ever lose it."

"Never, Seokjin. Don't you dare lose my love for you either," he murmured with a smile.

With those words, Jimin and Yoongi entered Seokjin's vision, hopping onto their respective horses and rubbing their sturdy, muscled necks. Their eyes were covered with the shiny gloss of tears as well; they had to leave the sobbing Jungkook and Hoseok behind, and they, like Namjoon and Seokjin, could barely contain themselves.

"I-Is everything ready?" Jimin called back, hiccuping and trying not to look back at the wailing Jungkook behind them.

"Mm," Yoongi belted out, only managing a small response.

"L-Let's go, then."

"Mm."

As the horses began to move, Namjoon extended his hand to hold Seokjin's, and the regent began to follow the palanquin out towards the palace gate. The lords and ladies shot flurries of scripted well-wishes and "safe travel"s while Seokjin's eyes began to rain once more.

"I love you, Namjoon!" he cried, attempting a broken smile through the tears.

"I love you too, Seokjin!" Namjoon exclaimed, unable to keep his own floodgates closed.

The palanquin dragged Seokjin towards the palace gates, and the moment he had dreaded for the past four days had finally come. The horses proudly crossed the open line that separated the palace and the outside forests, not knowing the true sadness of the events occurring. They drew Seokjin as far as he could without crossing the palace gates, and Namjoon's arm soon followed, trailing down to Seokjin's forearm...then his wrist...his palm...his fingertips...

...they let go.

Their hands no longer touched, but their tear-dotted eyes stayed fixed on each other until each person became invisible dots in the distance, and their hearts were the only parts of them connected in some powerful way.

Seokjin's stomach dropped with the approaching steps of his heartbroken companions with a sinister realization.

"Jungkook..." he whispered, keeping his eyes locked on the landscape.

"Hoseok..."

The two sniffed once more, wiping their eyes in a futile effort to calm themselves down.

"...that might've been...the last time we saw"--

"Don't say it!" Jungkook screamed, tugging on his sleeve tightly. "Don't you dare say it."

Hoseok was silent.

"They will come back, and they will be safe. Don't you ever doubt that."

After a few seconds, Seokjin nodded his head.

"R-Right," he muttered, agreeing to the suggestion. "You're right. Let's...let's get through today..."

"I'll go look after Seonbi. They're probably expecting me," Hoseok said, breaking his silence.

"I'll just get some exercise and...shoot some arrows or somethin'..." Jungkook said, flustered.

"...I'll figure out how to do this if it's the last thing I do. Everyone's counting on me," Seokjin said -- to himself rather than anyone else -- fixing his posture and walking up to the palace hall.

I'm going to do this no matter what.

And no matter what, I will succeed.