six

"What was going on?" the regent asked, murmuring the question almost to himself. He had already undressed and gotten into his partner's bed at that point -- the lords and ladies of the court had taken their sweet time leaving the palace hall before Namjoon could speak to the members of the Council alone. He hated just the thought of the six ruthless men existing in the royal court, so the thought of leaving them to advise Seokjin for a month broke his overflowing heart.

But that was just what he had to do.

"I was having a lovely chat with the Elder Council."

"Elder Council? Who are they?" Seokjin asked, sitting up in bed while Namjoon began to undress.

"They're the six people I have to leave you with, and they're the bane of our existences."

Getting up to help take Namjoon's robes off, he climbed across the giant bed, crawling on both knees towards his partner.

"I've never heard of them, even before you became king."

"You shouldn't have," Namjoon said, sighing as the weight of the four robes was pulled away from his shoulders. "My father never consulted with them, and even when he did, they just confirmed his beliefs. He never needed them to be a great ruler."

"What are they for, then?"

"Well, they were created at the beginning of this kingdom to advise the king in his decisions. Over the years, however, they've become more interested in proselytizing their own personal desires. They couldn't give two shits for the country to save their own lives."

"And...you have to leave them with me?" Seokjin mumbled, his voice faltering in disappointment.

"It's only protocol, love. You don't have to listen to them at all. In fact, if you believe that what you're doing is right, go for it. The only advice you need is right here."

Turning to face Seokjin, he placed a hand over his chest, sparking happiness inside him upon feeling his lover's heartbeat.

"You never fail to make me smile, Namjoon-ah," the regent giggled, displaying pearly white teeth proudly like an accomplishment. 

"That's my job as your lover, isn't it?" Namjoon chortled back.

"That's not the only job you have."

"Is that so? Then why don't you show me what the other one is?"

Seokjin smiled slyly. "You'll have to turn the lights off and take my clothes off first."

"Yejun-nim"--

"What should we do?"

"This could be our chance, you know"--

The three youngest members of the Elder Council rendered the name of the group a misnomer; the majority of the six were younger than even Namjoon was. One could almost compare the sight of the royals with the Council to a pair of parents lecturing their children that had once again misbehaved. The leader of the perfect misfit bunch growled in annoyance, once again thinking to himself about how much better he could do if he were alone.

"I am fully aware of that," Yejun snapped, quieting the youngsters as they fought to catch up with their leader's proud stride.

"But we mustn't take action. Not yet. Not until we know this Seokjin inside and out. His most lucid dreams, his worst nightmares, his strengths and his downfalls."

Nodding in agreement, the three finally fell in a somewhat unified step.

The other two elders kept to themselves, quiet for the time being. Their hard expressions mirrored brick walls -- difficult to read or receive a response from. Yejun didn't mind them as much as the three "kids"; they did as told despite having no sense of humor and supported Yejun without ever questioning his actions.

"Now, you kids can go to bed. The big boys have some things to discuss," Yejun stated in a matter-of-fact tone, instantly doubling his pace. The silent duo followed along, not even bidding goodnight to the three youngest left standing in the dirt.

"Why doesn't he ever let us in the fun?" one asked, not expecting any particular answer from anyone.

"It's just the way it is. We'll just have to accept it"--

"Accept my ass. All they ever do is plot whatever they're doing, never let us in on the plan, then when it's time to do whatever they want us to do, we don't know how to do it. Yejun tells us it's common sense, but how are we supposed to know? How?!"

"Doyoung, calm down," the third intervened, shaking his head. "There has to be something we can do."

"Baekyeol is right. We should just calm down and go to bed. We'll figure things out tomorrow."

"Well I'm not going to bed. I'm going to the gardens. Goodnight."

"Doyoung"--

"Let him go, Baekyeol," the eldest of the three sighed, shaking his head. "Doyoungie is a lost cause."

Baekyeol shrugged his shoulders and let the youngest storm off, following his hyung to the Elder Council's chambers.