twenty one

Namjoon had pulled out all the stops for his first night back with Seokjin; as soon as the sun went down, not only did the returned king open his finest pot of wine and serve the regent's favorite dishes while a harem lady played a relaxing song on the gayageum in the corner, he also gave Seokjin a much needed, romantic back massage while a calming, intoxicating scent burned off a stick of incense next to his bed. The falling rain outside beat the shingled roof of the palace hall, and the dark night dotted with the light plum blossoms created a soft, serene atmosphere that lulled the pair into a dreamlike feeling Seokjin only remembered feeling once in his life -- when he shared his first kiss with Namjoon in the forest near the palace.

"Namjoon," the regent smiled, putting down his jade goblet of precious wine, "you spoil me too much. The food, the music, the massage, even this bath is just so wonderful."

Seokjin relaxed in the tub, letting the hot water relieve his aches and pains while watching the flower petals in it float about. Namjoon smiled, holding Seokjin's slightly wrinkled hands; they'd been in the water for a good while, but Namjoon had one more surprise left in store for his beloved that he was sure to love.

"I love spoiling you, and I know you do as well. You pumpkin," Namjoon whispered, caressing his hands and winking at him with a subtle lust that Seokjin immediately picked up on as if it were the red circle on Japan's flag.

"Mmm, is that so? Why don't you spoil me some more then?"

"That's what my favorite noble wants, isn't it?" Namjoon chuckled, stepping up from the bath. He earned a disdainful whine from his favorite noble when he got out of the tub, making him smirk and laugh a bit more.

"Stay in the bath for a while, my love," Namjoon whispered, sending chills down Seokjin's spine.

"I have one more gift for you. When you feel ready...come to my room."

Namjoon waited for the tall, muscled, thin young man to enter his room behind the grand hall in nothing but a light robe tied loosely in the front. Smiling, the king held his head high, showing off the shimmering gold crown in the dim candlelight while the phoenixes embroidered on his red regalia did the same. Seokjin closed the door behind him, smiling back at Namjoon.

They stayed silent for a while, listening to the rain pour outside and inhaling wafts of faded incense.

"I believe," Namjoon began, taking a firm tone, "that when you enter a king's presence, you are to bow and address him."