nineteen

Seokjin gathered the entire royal court in the gardens underneath a golden moon, falling plum blossoms and his own heavy heart for a special night that he forced himself to stay awake to plan. In the dimly lit, solemn hour of that night -- the thirty-ninth hour since he'd gotten any sleep -- the regent presented himself in the regal, haughty dress of a true king while masking the fatigue that shook his bones and trembled his body. Despite efforts by his friends to lift his spirits, the young man seemed to grow older with stress by the day; he had fully committed himself to his country and his duty to uphold the heavy crown that he wore on his head.

"My faithful subjects," he began, struggling to speak loudly with the weak, faded voice that occupied his throat. He was aware of intense pain on his head being weighed down by pounds of gold, yet he barely heard the birds chirping around him, almost welcoming him to the peaceful night that settled around them.

"I brought you all here tonight to hear my personal apology. Last night, you were all rudely taken from your dreams and rendered unconscious by people who have undermined royal authority for years. Last night, you all feared for your lives as a result of my negligence. If I had just denounced them all earlier, this might not have happened. You could've all died less than a full day ago. And for that, I am truly sorry."

Seokjin pulled the crown from his head and held it weakly in his hands. Getting up from the cushion he sat on, he placed the crown on that cushion, not wanting it to touch the muddy ground. He then knelt on the soft dirt and bent over, bowing towards his people in a show of absolute sincerity as the blossoms fell around him and the lanterns that hung from the nearby nobles' chambers flickered with a soft glow, illuminating the red and gold of his robes.

The people looked at each other in astonishment and shock. Here bowed their kind, fair king before them, apologizing for an event he had nothing to do with. No king before Namjoon had ever been that sincere and open with his people, and his act expressed a genuine desire to make amends somehow.

Jungkook stepped forward, motioning for the entire army behind him to stand.

"Your Majesty," he began, attracting everyone's attention, "my soldiers and I were victims of the false death last night."

"I-I apologize t-to you, dear f-friend," Seokjin stammered, bowing once more.

"I speak on behalf of my men and myself when I say that you were not at fault for last night's occurrences. You needn't fear that you were negligent in any way. We respect you as our king, Your Majesty. We accept you."

With that, Jungkook and the army behind him knelt on the ground, bowing in the same manner Seokjin did.

"Permission to speak, Your Majesty," a young woman said, standing and bowing at her hip.

"Please speak, my lady," Seokjin murmured, nodding at her.

"My name is Song Hyera, and I represent the ladies of the palace. We agree to General Jeon's statement, and we also feel that Your Majesty has done everything in your power from the moment the crown was placed on your head to take care of us and the nation. For that, we thank you and we accept you as well."

Mirroring the army, the ladies of the harem bowed towards Seokjin, with sympathetic looks on their beautiful faces.

"You've done so much for us already, Your Majesty," Hoseok smiled from the crowd, bowing his head. "Did you all know that His Majesty helped take care of each and every patient in some way? He stood against the ones who caused the false death, then went straight to helping his people. He carried people on his back to the infirmary and stood by many people's bedsides, praying for them. What a true king he is!"

"Praise be to His Majesty!" Taehyung yelled from the crowd, causing an approving roar to sound from all around the men, women, and children who sat before Seokjin, yet at the same time, they sat by his side.

In that moment, Seokjin realized that his worst fears were nothing but pessimistic worry. He was ruling the right way, and everyone loved him for it. It was at that moment that he knew that everything was going to be okay.

Namjoon-ah, he thought to himself as he held his chest and let waves of tears run down his wrinkled, acne-riddled face.

You did know what you were doing, didn't you?

"Someone seeks entrance at the gate, Your Majesty!" a guard suddenly cried, bowing towards Seokjin.

Nodding his head and getting up from the ground, he picked up his crown and placed it on his head once again with a new determination to keep on doing things right. Smiling at the guard, he gestured for him to lead the way.

"He also asks for our medic, Doctor Jung, to be present, Your Majesty."

Hoseok's brow furrowed, confused by such a request. He figured that the person asking must be hurt, and was seeking medical attention. With that in mind, he asked Seokjin to go ahead without him, and he would grab some basic supplies at the infirmary before meeting them at the entrance gate. With Hoseok having taken off, Seokjin followed the guard to the main entrance gate of the palace.

"Who seeks entry into the palace?" the guard asked, protecting Seokjin behind him.

"Guard of the Palace, Min Yoongi. I carry a message for His Majesty."

Seokjin's eyes widened and shimmered with more tears as he ran to the tall, red gate and pulled it open with all his dwindling might. Now sobbing loudly and without regard to having composure, upon opening the gate he threw his arms around Yoongi, almost choking on his tears and coughing harshly because of it. Yoongi patted Seokjin's back, mirroring the empathetic gaze of the moon and the guard next to them.

"He's okay, Your Majesty," Yoongi smiled, reassuring an incessantly wailing Seokjin. The regent almost fell to his knees, but was held up by Yoongi's firm grip on his arms.

"He speaks of you every day. He misses you more than you could ever imagine, Your Majesty."

Seokjin didn't know whether to feel better that Namjoon was okay and missed the regent as much as Seokjin missed him, or worse because the dark, burning feeling of loneliness only multiplied.

"He wrote  you this letter, Your Majesty," Yoongi finally said, giving the piece of paper in his hand to Seokjin. Seokjin stared at it like a criminal would stare at the crown jewel worth millions before his fingertips, then took it carefully into his hands, delicately opening up the letter. He mulled over every painstakingly detailed word, appreciating the time and effort he put into the letter he made just for him.

Suddenly, he paused at the bottom of the letter.

"...h-he's coming home...h-he's going to c-come home? Really? Is it true, Namjoonie?" he smiled, happily fatigued.

"Yes. He wrote that letter today, and asked that I deliver it. I've just gotten here, but I must get back."

"Oh..." Seokjin whispered, staring through Yoongi. The tiredness finally began to consume him, and it began to noticeably show in his slumped posture and drooping facial expression.

"P-Please...stay and wait...for...H-Hoseok..."

Yoongi smiled and nodded, promising to stay for the one he loved. His promise gave Seokjin reassurance, and yet another inkling of happiness for his dear, precious friends.

Seokjin passed out on the cold ground with a smile on his face.