twelve

Myago Ryeoju's mere aura blew gusts of confidence and power around everyone in the room he entered, silencing those that spoke of possessing authority just by hardening his stone expression. Seokjin admitted respect for the Myago head; he had written to the noble to meet sometime in the coming weeks to discuss an alliance, and he seemed incredibly disciplined and to-the-letter. His seriousness wasn't without reason, either -- after battling the Silcho for years, and losing to them, he was thankful to the departed king for putting them to rest. Doyoung helped Seokjin learn everything there was to know about the Myago and their leader, and was more than ready to welcome him when he walked through the palace gates on a warm summer morning, with trails of men accompanying him -- some wearing soldiers' uniforms, some carrying the deep violet flag of the Myago seal.

Seokjin stood outside the palace hall, awaiting them, with Doyoung on his left side. His golden deer antler crown stood proudly on his head, fixed like the sun's rays on the kingdom around him; his red robes billowed in the breeze that blew through the mountain trees, Seokjin's long, dark hair, and the Myago flags.

"Come, Doyoung-sshi," he murmured, gently motioning for the young man to follow him.

They walked down the tall stone staircase that led up to the palace entry, stepping like cats carefully over the red velvet that covered the staircase. Myago Ryeoju followed suit, walking towards Seokjin and Doyoung with his head held high and that confident aura that left impressions of admiration on everyone around him. Meeting at the foot of the staircase, the Myago leader bowed to Seokjin, bowing his head for three long seconds while holding his fist to his chest.

"I greet you in peace, Your Majesty."

"I welcome you in peace, Myago-nim."

"Please," the young man said, breaking his lips into a small smile. "Ryeoju-nim is sufficient. You have my respect, Your Majesty."

"As do you, Ryeoju-nim."

Seokjin looked back at Doyoung and held his hand out at the ground before him, gesturing for the young man to greet Ryeoju. Doyoung stepped up and bowed, bending at the hip in a right angle.

"I, Cheon Doyoung, greet Lord Myago-nim in peace."

"I greet you as well, Doyoung-sshi."

Stepping back to his place behind the regent, Doyoung smiled happily, seemingly relieved that he didn't mess up the greeting.

"Your company may make themselves comfortable here at the palace at your discretion, Ryeoju-nim. The sun has become unforgiving these past few weeks," Seokjin said. "The banquet hall is open. The cooks have been made aware of your arrival and are waiting to serve your men as we speak."

"The rumors are true," Ryeoju said, smiling once more. "The royal Kim family is kind to all."

"Please, do not thank me. I am not of royal blood; I only wish to uphold His Divine Grace's name."

"You do so excellently, Your Majesty. My men will be of high spirit when we finish."

With that, Ryeoju turned and commanded his men aloud to disperse to the banquet hall. Upon hearing that they would receive a meal, the whole lot sang and cheered in gaiety, happily surprised by such hospitality.

"Let us speak inside, Ryeoju-nim."

"Of course."

The three walked past the palace hall towards the administrative offices, unaware that they had also walked past a hidden and dubiously silent Elder Council.