three

"How are you, Namjoon?" Seokjin murmured, taking his partner from Jungkook's arms. The lord of the north cradled Namjoon in his embrace, allowing Namjoon to finally catch his runaway breath.

"I-I'm alright...thank you, Seokjin," Namjoon said, looking up at his lover. His eyes glazed over the noble's lips in longing, but looked away in restraint.

"Who was that?" Taehyung asked, looking over the faces around him for answers that no one had.

"I don't know," Jungkook said, glancing over at the woman he had just killed in cold blood, "but she definitely wasn't any pushover."

"Damn straight," the king sighed, shaking his head. "You'd never believe the fight I gave her just to stay alive."

Hoseok took Namjoon's vital signs, helping him sit up straight. "He's fine," the medic nodded, sure of his diagnosis. "Still in shock, but no major injuries."

"I don't know what I would've done without you," Seokjin whispered, gently but worriedly wrapping his arms around the royal. Namjoon welcomed the noble's comforting envelop, never one to reject a hug from his beloved. Seokjin caressed his hair, running his fingers through Namjoon's dark, flowing curtains of thick fluff.

"Me neither, love. That's why I had to fight...I knew that if I lost to her, I'd never have a chance to protect you."

The tears Seokjin held back burst through, breaking the burning floodgates of his constraint and pouring like soothing rain on cracked ground.

"I love you, Namjoon," he sobbed, clutching his lover as if he would never see him again. Namjoon returned the cuddle, refusing to let go or ease his passionate grip.

"I love you too, my Seokjinnie."

"The woman was one of Chomin's mistresses. She had followed in the Silcho clan's trail, apparently jealous of Sura's hold on the man she wanted," Jimin said, walking Namjoon, Seokjin and Yoongi around the wooden table where the lifeless corpse lay face-up. "She was allowed near the palace grounds to witness the execution, but was reported to have left immediately after the Silcho were beheaded. Specifically, she saw Chomin die and wanted to exact revenge since then."

"Over the past nine months, we've been briefed to watch out for any suspicious movements around the palace," Yoongi continued, pulling out a chest from underneath the table. "In that time period, we've gotten letters from the assassin telling us to heighten security and put more guards on duty."

"Why?" Seokjin asked, furrowing his brow in confusion. "That would just lessen her chances of getting to Namjoon, wouldn't it?"

"She wrote that she wanted a challenge so that she could brag about the story later. She wanted her chances to be slim just so that her sick little game would be exciting enough to play."

Namjoon and Seokjin were silent.

"What about afterward...?" Yoongi asked, looking at the general. "Let's say she succeeded. What then?"

"Take the throne for herself, kill all who don't bow down to her. This was an attempted coup d'état."

"She couldn't have expected to singlehandedly overthrow the king, though"--

"That's actually the least of our concerns," Jimin said, shaking his head. "The fact that she almost succeeded is a problem. She had to get through heavy reinforcement -- multiple highly trained guards to even get to His Majesty"--

"Not to mention sneak past guards at every palace entrance who have all been trained to sleep with one eye open," Yoongi added, looking down. "I'd say it's time to reinstall some vigor into the training."

"And..." Jimin began again, nodding at Yoongi's suggestion, "for His Majesty's safety, we should relocate him to an unknown area for a while. Get away from the palace and its affairs. There could be more attempts on His Majesty's life that we just can't risk."

"Okay..." Seokjin said, starting to pace around the body in a nervous movement. "But who would take his place? There aren't any male heirs...someone would have to serve as regent"--

"You, Seokjin-ah."

Seokjin immediately turned and stared at Namjoon as if he had just killed someone. The slight yet hopeful chance that Namjoon was joking faded into thin air when Seokjin saw his determined, almost too serious face.

"M-Me? Regent? I-I couldn't! I'm not at all suitable for"--

"Seokjin," Namjoon began, making his way over to the shaking noble. Placing his hands on his arms and squeezing him gently, Namjoon smiled slightly, somewhat calming Seokjin down.

"Listen, I know I'm asking a lot of you, and I know that this is a huge responsibility. But that's why I'm giving it to you. I wouldn't trust anyone else with the crown. You're the only one who I know can do this right."

"...that's what I'm afraid of..." Seokjin sighed, pacing around once again. "What if I don't do this right? What if I mess up the entire kingdom? What if"--

"Love, I know I don't have to worry about all that. I know you'll do amazing because you're you."

Seokjin stopped in the middle of his self-deprecation, looking up at Namjoon with once more glossy, watery eyes.

"R-Really?"

"Yes, Seokjin. Really."

Closing his eyes and slowly nodding his head, Seokjin stumbled over to Namjoon, falling into his arms. Namjoon held onto him, slowly kneeling to the ground with him before sitting on the cold, hard floor and embracing each other still.

"I don't think I'll survive another attempt on your life, Namjoon," Seokjin mumbled, physically, mentally and emotionally tired.

"I'll survive for you, my love," Namjoon smiled. "Don't worry. I'll come back to you safe."

"We'll bring Namjoon to a haven off the edge of the forest in a week or so," Jimin said, quietly watching the lovers hold each other and feeling a sudden painful tug on his own chest for Jungkook. "In three days, we crown Seokjin regent."

"How do you feel about that, Seokjin?" Namjoon whispered, caressing the noble that laid on hi chest.

"I'm alright with it. Can we leave, please? The smell of the body is making me sick."

Pulling Seokjin's legs into his lap, Namjoon lifted the noble off the floor, walking slowly as not to disturb his sensitive insides. Carrying him all the way to his rooms, Namjoon finally laid the young man in his bed, following him into a deep sleep with an arm around his small body.

In three days, Seokjin would be king.