Chapter Seven

Rain; the sound of the water droplets tapping against the bedroom windows was what she woke up to. The young woman blinked the sleep from her eyes and looked across at the heavy grey curtains covering the windows across from her. There was an arm draped around her waist a warm breath of air nipping at her neck every few seconds. Leonardo was pressed up against her back; their legs were tangled underneath the heavy blankets. All he could focus on was the sound of his low breathing and the steady tapping of the rain droplets against the windows.

It was past dawn. She knew that because of the light flitting between the spaces the curtains couldn't cover. Her eyes followed the intruding light rays until she would have to turn her head to see where they stopped. It was awkward; she didn't want to move to risk waking her boyfriend up. The night before was hectic and the two of them didn't fall asleep until the early hours of the morning. Her heart stopped for a moment and her eyes widened in surprise.

She felt like she had a minor heart attack when her brain finally reminded her of what was on today's to-do list. The time was unknown to her but they both had obviously slept in. They were talking about meeting her parents for lunch today. Blindly she reached forward, her hand feeling around the bedside table until her fingers grazed the top of her cell phone. She grabbed it and turned it on to see the time. There were several missed calls from all three of her parents from the past half an hour.

Mar'i sat up jostling her boyfriend lying behind her awake. If it weren't for her panicking she would've stopped to kiss his adorable face good morning - well, good afternoon. The blankets were tossed forwards; she nearly fell out of the bed and onto the floor from moving so fast. Leonardo sat up and rubbed his tired eyes. Once they were open he saw his girlfriend running back and forth from the washroom to the closet. "What on Earth are you doing?" he asked watching her halt her movements when she heard his voice.

The raven-haired woman turned to face the foot of the bed and gave him a sheepish smile while scratching the back of his head. "Remember lunch with my parents?" she asked hoping not to alarm him in any way. It took a moment and she watched as his tired expression quickly morphed into a mixed look of horror and surprise. She looked the same way when she first realized what time it was. "You start getting ready, I'll call them back." She said, hopping towards the washroom while pulling her pants up her legs.

Her cell phone was lying idly on the countertop when she grabbed it. She dialed two different numbers, third time's a charm. "Mar'i, how joyous it is to finally hear from you!" her mama exclaimed from the other end of the phone line. Besides nearly getting her eardrums blown out she was relieved that someone answered. Her mama, her biological mother, was a model like herself. That was how she originally got into the modeling business.

The two of them were more alike than they let on with their unnatural strength, optimistic attitude, and unusual genetic eye discolouration genetics. "Sorry mama, Leo and I slept in and last night was quite hectic. I mean dad probably told you already but I'm really sorry we'll be there soon I promise." She sputtered out while brushing her hair. There was a long pause over the line. In the background, she could hear laughter and the ever so faint melody of her mum's voice. "It is okay, we're all waiting in the backyard. Your father says to hurry up or he'll eat your hamburger." Her mama giggled.

She rolled her eyes. "Tell dad that if he lays a finger on that burger that I'll cut it off."

There was a string of childish laughter that rung in her ears. She must've been on speaker, only her siblings had such obnoxious laughs. "We'll be there soon, okay?" she said putting the hairbrush down and grabbing a nearby hair tie from the counter. Mar'i looked up and into the mirror to see Leonardo standing in the doorway fixing his tie. "See you soon." Her mama replied wistfully before hanging up the phone. As soon as she was able to put her phone down she used both hands to fix her unruly hair.