Chapter Nine

They were awkwardly sitting next to one another late at night on a train heading for Smallville. It was pretty dead, the train, the only ones on here besides them were a tired accountant and a drunken guy passed out across the seats a few spaces in front of them. She called to tell her parents that Sindella was with her but they didn't answer. Instead, she left a brief message explaining where they were headed. It was dark out and the forest the train was racing through whizzed by them in dark green blurs.

     She wanted answers and this was how she was going to get them. It was also nice to visit her aunt Megan; she was always kind to her. Her phone began to vibrate in her sweater pocket as she jolted awake. The clock on her cell phone said that it was past midnight and her boyfriend's face also caught her attention as it flashed on the screen. The train's bright white lights blinded her; she answered the phone whilst trying to rub the blurriness from her vision. "Where are you?" her boyfriend demanded.

     Leonardo's tone sounded like he was more enraged than he was worried. Then again it was late and she had forgotten to tell him that she was off to Smallville, Kansas in search of answers. This was one of the weird adventures that she planned o taking at the last minute. There wasn't a lot she could lose now. Really, the only one in her corner was herself, her boyfriend (possibly), and her sister. "I'm on a train." She answered before yawning. She went to stretch her arm out when she felt a weight leaning against her.

     Tiredly, she turned her head to the side to see her sister curled up on the stiff seat with her head leaning against her shoulder. Sindella was not a tiny human being but the way she was curled up made her seem so small and so childlike. She smiled fondly down at her and moved some stray hairs from her face behind her ear. "On a train, on a train to where?" he asked impatiently. It took a moment as she stared out the train window to remember where they were headed.

     The memory popped into her head and if she weren't so tired and achy she would've perked up more. "Smallville, Kansas." She answered calmly. There was a silence that came over the phone line after she said that. In the background, she could hear a string of low toned curses from her boyfriend. After a minute he finally came back to the phone, she heard him take a deep breath. "Why the hell are you headed to Kansas? Are you mad?" he asked all the while trying to keep his cool.

     He was surprisingly calm considering she just told him she decided to leave Gotham on some heat of the moment trip. The two girls didn't even bother packing they just headed to the nearest train station and Mar'i bought the tickets. The model had cash on her and if need be she would use Leonardo's credit card. Surely it wouldn't come to that but emergencies did happen. "Don't worry, I'll," she looked down at her sister, "- we'll be home in a day or so. I'm tired; I'll text you tomorrow morning. I love you." She yawned. For a brief moment and with heavy eyes she drearily waited for her boyfriend's response.

     There was a long sigh that echoed in her ear from the phone line. She was far away and what was done was done, he couldn't exactly stop her now. "If you don't text me I'll bloody call my jet and fly out there myself to get you, understand?" he asked more light-heartedly. She smiled softly and imagined him pacing back and forth worried; he tended overreacted whenever she left without notice. "Yes, Leo." She whispered, another yawn escaping past her lips.

"I love you, goodnight." He responded before hanging up.

     It wasn't hard for her to fall back asleep once she ended the phone call. The only problem was the wretched bright lights that irritated her. Mar'i shifted around in the uncomfortable seat and ended up burying her face into the top of her sister's head. At least most of the light was blocked out by her sisters raven locks up hair. She woke up once again to someone calling her name and tugging at her sweaters sleeve. The young woman groaned and reluctantly opened her irritated eyes.