Chapter Fourteen

The flash drive was nowhere to be found and she asked Leo numerous times if he's seen it, using the cover that there were family pictures on there just in case he hadn't taken it and wouldn't attempt to look into it if he found it. The Gala was tomorrow night and she hadn't extended the invitation to her family yet. Which was why she was stood outside her parents' house contemplating whether to knock or not.

     The envelope was in her hand and in that moment she felt like it was right to leave. After all her father told her to never come back if she was still with Leonardo. Sometimes he was so controlling and she hated it. Mar'i turned preparing to walk back to her rental car when the front door to the house opened. She froze in place and winced hoping that it wasn't her father. "Well, you've been standing outside for twenty minutes are you not going to come inside?" her mother's voice said softly.

     She turned slowly to see the dark-haired woman standing in the doorway. The way she was dressed suggested that she had just arrived home from work. She gave her mother a small smile as she stepped into the house. All was silent; her father was at work and everyone else most likely at school. "That better not be a wedding invitation." Her mother frowned, "- I'm just kidding! Is it though?" she asked.

     Mar'i shook her head and blushed at the thought of Leonardo proposing to her. The two of them getting married had been a dream of hers for a long time but now it was more on the back burner. "No, don't worry I don't think I'll be getting married for a very long time." She laughed while following her mother to the kitchen. There was a stack of dishes in the sink waiting to be washed and Mar'i didn't hesitate to begin doing the chore. It was the least she could do for her mother.

     The way she left everything with them was horrible and she felt guilty ever since. While her father and she were busy screaming at each other she completely disregarded how her mother would feel giving her decision. "You don't really have to do those." Zatanna frowned and moved to take the dirty dish from her daughter's hand. The young woman shook her head and held it high in the air. "It's fine I don't mind. Anyways, there's a Gala tomorrow and I want you and everyone to come." She motioned to the black, silver bowed invitation on the counter.

     Zatanna picked it up and admired the decorative bow before pulling it and opening it to get the invite inside. Her mother's blue eyes scanned over it making sure to read over every detail. "Your father's still angry with you but with some convincing, I could get him to attend." She smiled up at her daughter. Mar'i seemed to break in that moment and she couldn't help but embrace her mother. "I'm sorry for what happened." She whispered trying to keep her tears at bay.

"I was angry and dad didn't give me much room for choice. I love Leo and I'm an adult dad shouldn't be policing me over my love life." She continued.

     Her mother shushed her and rubbed her back comfortingly. She always knew she could count on her mother and her mama. They would walk through hell and back for their daughter. "If he doesn't come tomorrow don't be disappointed, okay?" Zatanna said pulling away from her daughters embrace. The young woman nodded, she shouldn't expect her father to show up. After all, she got her stubbornness from him. Mar'i left soon after before her father arrived home.

     The following day was brutal for both her and her boyfriend. They were running around the city for hours and her feet were killing her. The two of them were getting the finishing touches of their outfits done. He made sure to get the best of the best for her. The dress was black fading to violet; the top was strapless and hugged her body to the waist where the skirt then flared out and down like a waterfall. She didn't want to know what the cost of the dress or the accessories were.

     Thinking about all that money gave her a headache. Her boyfriend stood on a pedestal, a short man running around and doing some last minute silver stitching around the cuffs. There were two women crowding around her measuring her waist and sewing some crystals onto the bodice. "When we're done here love we are to head to the Gala immediately. The guests are waiting for the king and queen to arrive." He looked at her from the mirror, a smirk rising to his face.