Chapter Twenty-One

A/N: Agh, I'm sorry for such the late update! If you wish for an explanation I go into further detail on my message board. 

<><><><><><><><><><>

     The ride in the ambulance to the hospital felt as if it lasted for hours. She sat next to Damian who was lying on a stretcher whining. He had been mumbling to the paramedics that he was fine and it wasn't that bad of an injury. When they tried to apply pressure to the wound he would swat them away and squirm around. They managed to sedate him, at first freaked him out causing him to move and squirm around even further.

     Mar'i had to hold his hand the entire way to the emergency room and whisper pointless assurances into his ear. It had been an hour or so now since he had come out of a minor surgery. She had opted to text her fiancé instead of calling and lying, saying that Sindella was having a breakdown or something and wished for her to stay with her parents for the night.

     She walked through the hospital hallways like a ghost. It was an aimless wander, she wasn't too sure of her destination. Damian was knocked out cold by the drugs they had given him for the surgery. The building was basically deserted. Her eyes studied the long corridor; white walls, white tile floor, bright blinding lights and the smell of rubbing alcohol was the buildings default smell.

     Slowly she made her way back down the corridor and into Damian's room. The lamp in the corner was lit giving the room a dim orange glow. Her chair from earlier was still in its spot next to the bed. Mar'i looked down at her bright yellow rain boots and bare legs. The young woman wasn't exactly appropriately dressed for the hospital let alone the public. Why did she care so much about him?

     Ever since she returned back to Gotham and met him again it's been like fireworks going off inside of her. Leonardo deserved all of her love and devotion yet now she found a part of herself sharing that same affection towards Damian. She had kissed Damian twice, maybe three times now since she's been in Gotham. This city truly lived up to the whispers and tales – Gotham made people do horrible things.

     Normally she would never have thought about any other guy romantically besides Leonardo. Sure there would be the occasional gorgeous model she would work with who would make her think of a few naughty things but never anything romantic or caring. Was it wrong for her to feel this way? She is a soon-to-be-married woman and most of her thoughts are caught up and smothered by some other man.

     Damian stirred slightly in his bed catching her attention. Her gaze flickered up from her bright yellow rain boots to him. The doctor had assured her that with some time he would be back in tip-top shape again. He needed rest, needed sleep, and a hell of a lot of pain medication. It wasn't a simple stab wound anymore, not anymore. Infection. That was one of the worst words to hear in a hospital.

     Not everybody bounced back from infections. If left untreated for too long the infection can spread and end up killing the person. Her boots squeaked against the tile floor as she walked over and reclaimed her seat next to his bed. The young man wasn't as hooked up and attached to as many machines as she was nearing a month ago. That day was still much of a blur for her. Most of her memories had returned but the few days leading up to the Gala were a little messy.

     Whenever she tried to think back to it, to anything during those few days it was nothing but a blur of colours and voices. Her brain was working too hard and too fast to put the recollections together that it all melded together into one swift moving memory. What she remembers most was how she felt. Her emotions in those few days went from ecstatic, to worry, and then to sickly nausea. Given time she would start to remember more and piece what happened back together again.