Chapter Ten

Garfield Logan was a lot taller then she remembered, she also remembered his hair not being green. Then again Mar'i had only seen him a few times throughout her life and the last time was when she was quite young. The guest house was further than the barn but still accessible to the main house. Its exterior mirrored the main house but inside had a more modern touch to it compared to the rustic feel the main house gave off. Megan's brother was sitting on the sofa eating a sandwich with a pair of legs draped over his lap.

     Her aunt cleared her voice to get his attention; the young man was too busy staring off into space to notice the three of them. Mar'i's eyes followed the long pale legs up to the young woman lounging next to him, her face stuck in a book. She lowered the book to reveal her thin, pale face and short dark hair covering most of her face. "Hey sis, whatcha want?" Garfield asked with a mouthful of food.

     He reminded Mar'i an awful lot of her younger brother Jaxx. She watched as his girlfriend sat up and swatted him in the back of the head. The couple seemed to remind her of her aunt Artemis and Uncle Wally – her aunt was constantly swatting her husband in the back of the head when he did something disgusting. "You have guests, idiot." The woman muttered before leaning back into the sofa and picking up her book again.

     The encounter was friendly as he got up and greeted the two young women standing next to his sister. He stuck his hand out towards Mar'i and flashed a gleeful smile, "Garfield Logan, I think I've met you before but weren't you like smaller?" he asked as she nodded and shook his hand.

"Dude I am so old." He muttered.

     After the friendly introductions, her aunt led them up the nearby staircase and into the first bedroom on the right. Sindella winced when she saw the colour the walls were painted – bright yellow, almost fluorescent. There were two single beds on either side of the room; the teenager childishly ran over and claimed the bed next to the set of windows. As she jumped onto the bed and admired the view her older sister turned to their aunt. "Is something wrong? You didn't arrive with much baggage. Are you in trouble?" Megan whispered.

     She only wished the best for her technical nieces. Megan was the aunt Mar'i felt she could tell anything to, she was very understanding and soft-spoken. "No trouble. This trip was planned at an odd time and well we just wanted to see you. Isn't that right Sindi!" she said loudly. Her sister turned and nodded furiously with a forced smile. If it weren't for the vigorous head shaking their aunt might have seen how forced her smile truly was.

     Their aunt smiled kindly at the two young women. It was always lovely to see them; Mar'i was always difficult to speak with because of her travels. The model turned and then strutted over to the small bed pushed up against the bright yellow wall. With the sun shining inside of the bedroom the walls were surely blinding to look at. "Hello Megan!" her aunt tapped the side of her head lightly with her hand, "- I'll be right back." She said before disappearing from the room.

     Mar'i sat down on the edge of the bed facing her sister who was across the room from her. For a moment she felt like she was back at boarding school again with the way the room was set up. It was so bare and bright and oddly nostalgic. She hadn't been in a room that resembled the one she used to stay in when attending boarding school so this all felt somewhat familiar. "You realize mum and dad are going to ground you until you're twenty, right?" she asked.

     Her sister turned and sat down properly on her bed to face her. "It's okay; I'll say you kidnapped me or something." Sindella joked. Before Mar'i could retaliate their aunt arrived back and pushed that mysterious woman from earlier into the room. They locked eyes for a split second; just looking at her gave her the slight chills. Leo used to give her the same feeling when they were younger. "Raven would be happy to let you borrow some of her clothes while the two of you are here." Megan smiled, elbowing the dark-haired woman standing slouched next to her.