Chapter Thirteen

That flash drive seemingly mocked her for the rest of the day. Leonardo was home early when she came back from Wayne Enterprises. Of course, he knew nothing of her little adventure – it was better to keep him in the dark about it. He was seated in the living room at the end of the sofa typing a document up on his computer. Mar'i quietly crept over and gently rested her hands on his shoulders. "I heard you from the front door; I don't scare easily my love." He hummed, closing his computer and looking up at her.

     She leaned down, placing a gentle kiss on his forehead. The flash drive was tucked away in her back pocket, the outline of it being concealed by her sweater. "I know." She smiled, walking around the couch and taking a seat on the other end. It wasn't long until she was stretched out on the sofa, her feet propped up on his lap. "Are you going to let me continue my work?" he asked, an eyebrow rose as he looked her way.

"What did you do while I was gone?" she asked.

He moved his laptop to the coffee table. "My father and I discussed business. We're hosting a Gala next week to celebrate handing down the company to me." He informed.

     Mar'i sat up and gave him a quizzical look. The last time she heard Leo wasn't supposed to gain control of the company for a few months. "My parents decided it was a good time, especially with everything going on. Of course, you'll be by my side." He said. She spaced out after that. Mar'i had never been a part of the Huxley business; she was still an outsider to them. "They are, you're letting me in?" she cringed mentally, that made her sound so needy.

     He stood up holding his hand out to her; she didn't hesitate to take it. Suddenly she was pulled close, they were chest to chest. "There's no doubt in my mind Mar'i, I love you and think it necessary for you to be a part of the family business." He smiled before chastely kissing her. Many things were running through her mind at once, she was oddly happy. This was a first; definitely, she was always kept in the dark about their business.

     When they were younger and she and Toni were still attached at the hip she remembered waiting in Toni's room of the rather large house while they had a family meeting downstairs, most of the time Toni would return, a smile forced to her face. Whenever she asked what went on downstairs that was so urgent to attend to her friend wouldn't hesitate to switch the subject. "So this Gala, who's going?" she asked.

"People from my parent's inner circle, the world's finest, anyone who can afford to attend. As my girlfriend I managed to pull some strings, you can invite your family and a few friends."

     She was absolutely gutted when he mentioned her family; of course, she wanted them there with her. That didn't mean they were willing to come to a function that solely revolved around the Huxley's and their empire. She would extend the invitation to them anyways but she wasn't going to keep her hopes up. "I see, so this is really important isn't it?" she asked twiddling her fingers. He smiled softly, his eyes studying her nervous features.

     Leo gave her a curt nod and reached forwards to bring his laptop back to his lap. It was quiet after that and Mar'i must have fallen asleep on the sofa. When she awoke it was dark out and she was tucked in bed underneath the blankets. A yawn escaped her lips as she sat up and stretched her arms out. "Leo?" she asked groggily while patting the empty spot of the bed beside her. She frowned and looked over at the alarm clock on her bedside table.

     The solid red numbers glowed in the dark informing her that it was past midnight. She stood up and curled her toes into the fluffy carpet beneath her feet. That's when her face fell and she quickly began to feel herself up and down. "Shit." She whispered now stumbling around in the darkness looking for her clothes; any other night she would've fawned over the fact that her boyfriend took his time to change her into something more comfortable but tonight all she felt was dread.