Chapter Twenty

It was just past two when her cell phone screen lit up. The light was followed by the obnoxious yet familiar ringing. Her eyes shot open and she stretched her left arm out and blindly patted around her bedside table for the device. Leo mumbled something incoherent against her neck; he was pretty tired as well. They had been up late beginning the wedding planning.

     He was adamant about getting a professional wedding planner which she immediately disregarded the idea. They met somewhere in the middle, she would decide the design and style and the planner would do the rest. Her mind was tired and groggy and when she finally grasped her phone she didn't hesitate to answer. "Hello?" she mumbled before yawning.

"Mar'i, Mar'i please I need your help." Damian's voice pleaded softly.

     All of a sudden she was wide awake when she heard his voice. His usual cocky tone was replaced with whimpers and soft pleads. The young woman sat up swinging her legs over the side of the bed. Leo had his arm still draped around her waist. She could feel him tiredly tugging on her trying to coax her back to bed. It had been a little over a week and a half since she had last seen let alone spoke to him.

     Mar'i was supposed to go back to check up on him but whenever she called to say she was coming over he would snap at her and say he was fine. The both of them were incredibly stubborn, however, wedding planning came up and she sort of left him to his own devices. "What's wrong?" she whispered; already out of bed and walking to her closet.

He sniffled. "I tore my stitches a few days ago, tried to fix it myself but it got worse. Just please," he held back a sob, "- please I need you." He cried.

     Her whole world seemed to freeze around her. It took a moment for her to process that he was actually crying. Damian did not cry, not even if his life depended on it. He was the type of person to bottle up all of his emotions until he absolutely imploded on himself. She looked down at her attire and shook her head. The long t-shirt she was wearing would have to do. Her hand reached into the closet pulling out one of her sweaters.

     The phone was pinned between her ear and her shoulder as she slipped her arms into the sleeves, zipping the sweater up once it was on. The room was suddenly filled with light and when she turned she could see Leonardo sitting up in bed. He was rubbing his tired eyes, hair sticking up each way, and blankets pooled around his waist. "What on Earth are you doing up at," he yawned and looked at the alarm clock on his side table, "- two-fifteen in the morning?" he asked.

"Family emergency, I'll be back later but I just have to go." She mumbled moving towards their bedroom door.

"If it's truly a family emergency love I believe I should come with you." Leo said beginning to slide out of bed.

     Her eyes widened and her hand froze on the door handle. She turned her head, "No!" she blurted out. Leonardo stopped and raised an eyebrow. There must have been a million thoughts running through his head at this point. "I'm sorry but it's a private emergency, you've had plenty of those. I'll call you later." She said quickly. He barely heard the end of her sentence she was out of their bedroom so fast.

     A hiss escaped her lips as she ran into the coffee table as she ran through the living room. It was dark and the natural lighting from the city coming in from the large windows didn't help much. If anything it helped the objects hide even better in the dark. "I'm leaving now, where are you?" she asked while pulling on her yellow rain boots.

"Bathroom floor." Damian mumbled in response.

     She ran down the hallway and clicked the elevator button about ten times. The elevator was either on the bottom floor or time was moving too slow for her. "Shit." She cursed, dashing away from the elevator to the end of the corridor and pushing open the heavy metal door that led to the stairwell. She peered over the railing and looked down at the endless flights of stairs. Just staring at it gave her brain a little pinch.