Chapter Eleven

A rooster was what woke the both of them up early in the morning. She heard her sister groan and muffle a curse under her breath. The young woman rolled over and cracked her eyes open. The sun had barely risen above the horizon; she never was awake this early unless it was for a job. She proceeded to roll onto her stomach, shoving her face into the pillow to try and block out the screeching from the feathery bird outside. A few minutes went by without any other noise and they finally began to drift off to sleep. "Holy shit!" Sindella yelled when the rooster outside screeched again.

     There was a loud thump that came from across the room. Mar'i groaned and turned her head to see her sister lying on the floor tangled in her blankets. The room was dark with the exception of the piercing orange light poking through the thin white curtains. "I am never sleeping overnight at a farm again." Her sister vowed while running a tired hand down the side of her face. If Mar'i was fully awake she would've laughed at her sister's dramatics.

     They were surprised to see the odd couple already awake downstairs. The silence was uncomfortable and she could feel both of their eyes following her every movement. She awkwardly swept through the kitchen and opened the nearby refrigerator grabbing an apple and a juice box. It wasn't much but it was portable and gave her the chance to eat it outside. The sky was beginning to liven, a mix of oranges and reds forming the perfect sunrise. She sat under a nearby tree on the large roots.

     She shivered feeling a cold gust of wind rattle her clothes and brush against her skin. As she was eating her phone buzzed. The device making her leg tingle as it vibrated in her pant pocket. "Good morning love." Leo's warm voice greeted. She smiled to herself and took another bite of the apple. Mar'i was surprised he was calling this early in the morning. After all the sun had barely just begun to rise. "It's difficult to hear you, are you outside?" he asks as another gust of wind blows past her.

     Another set of shivers rolls down her spine shaking her to her core. "Yes, I find it less awkward out here." She admitted looking over her shoulder back at the guest house. From the tree, she could just make out the two figures lounging on the couch in the front room. If they weren't outside working then they were taking up the entire couch. "What is it you are doing out there again?" he asks.

"Just on vacation, visiting Aunt Megan and the cousins." She says coolly.

"When will you be back?" he continues.

She sighs, "Probably tomorrow morning." She lies.

     Their conversation didn't extend much longer and soon she had finished eating her small breakfast. She and Sindella were going to leave today and head back to Gotham. As much fun as this was she needed to see Wayne Enterprises' CEO without her boyfriend's knowledge. Sindella is still lying on the cold floor when she came back inside. She could hear soft snores – thank goodness that rooster decided it was best not to bother anymore.

     She crouches down and smoothes her hand over her sibling's untamed dark hair. It felt like so long ago now when she heard she was born. Sindella was growing up too quickly and it made her feel old. "What do you want?" Sindi groans popping one blue eye open. Her visions slightly blurry but she could see enough to know that it was her sister.

"You can either get back into bed or wake up because you are not staying on this floor." She scolded.

Sindi smirked, "Oh yeah? Watch me."

     By mid-morning, she was lingering in the main house near the kitchen. Her aunt was whistling a sweet lullaby, or what Mar'i believed was a lullaby. She watched as the redhead swept through the kitchen as if she were dancing. The young woman watched from her hiding spot beyond the door as her uncle came into view. His arm moved to snake around Megan's waist pulling the skilled baker close to him. Her eyes sparkled as she moved her arms to rest loosely around his neck.