chapter 2

"Claire, look there's your lover boy." Paige, who has newly forgiven me, points across the cafeteria at Zayn who sits with three other boys - Harry, Louis and Liam, I think their names are. I watch them laugh as Liam points at the darkly colored tattoos on Louis' arms and Louis pouts, almost like a kid.

"He's not my lover boy," I roll my eyes.

"Oh yeah, I forgot it was 'artsyM'" she mocks.

"Still don't know who that is?" Niall says draping his arm around Paige, who slightly leans into him.

"A friend." I say firmly, not wanting to explain into detail.

"That she met online." Paige finishes for me.

Niall's eyebrows raise and I can tell he's trying to hold in a laugh. I don't care anymore, he can laugh all he wants. It won't stop me from talking to M.

"Laugh all you want,"

"I'm not laughing, I just - why? Those never go right." He basically says the same thing as Paige and I roll my eyes again. Why does this whole lunch have to be about discussing my internet life?

"Can we talk about something else?" I groan.

"Of course we can. Remember a few months ago when I promised to get you a boyfriend?"

She doesn't give me time to answer.

"I don't break my promises."

"Why does any of this matter anyway? I don't need a boy to make me happy," I say, rubbing my temples at my best friend who causes stress although I am happy to have her.

"So we can go on double dates!" She smiles and looks over at Niall who kisses her cheek.

"No thanks, I'd rather not puke while eating,"

Paige sends me a look, furrowing her eyebrows. I pretend that I don't see her as my gaze naturally stares across the cafeteria at Zayn. That smile - the one with his tongue in between his teeth - makes me smile too. His long, perfect, eyelashes flutter as he laughs at whatever Louis said. It's almost hard to look away before his gaze locks with mine and he lightly smiles at me. I pretend to look the other way, but its already too late; the other boys at the table turn around to look at me and I feel the bright pink rise in my cheeks.

"Hello? See, Niall, I told you she daydreams about him." Paige's annoyed voice makes me turn my full attention to her and away from Zayn's table.

"About who?"

"Don't pretend you don't know! I saw you staring at him!" She raises her voice. I can tell she is a little angry at me for ignoring her but it's something I can't help.

"Yeah, you were." Niall agrees with her like always.

"I know, sorry. Sorry," I shake my head, bringing the cheese pizza from the tray to my mouth.

"Just go and ask him out already," she groans as Niall's hand rubs her shoulder.

"Yeah, hell, maybe he's the type that likes it when the girl makes the first move?" Niall remarks as I swallow my food. I don't think Zayn is even looking for any sort of relationship because he would have had a girlfriend by now. I have seen all the model-like girls glance at him every now and then and with his looks, he could get any of them.

But I guess he had just chosen not to.

"That's too bad because i'm not doing it,"

"Niall, you could ask him if he likes her, couldn't you?" She bats her eyelashes at her boyfriend, ignoring the concept of me saying "I'm not doing it".