chapter 9

"I...it's just hard because..you know, I told you- I am tied between two feelings.." his eyes flicker towards me before looking away, "and one of those feelings...is reality,"

"Oh," is all I say and for moments we just stare out into the dark sky, hearing the sounds of crickets chirping mixed with our own breathing.

-

"So he didn't stand you up?" Paige tilts her head.

"I guess not," I shrug, "but I still didnt get a valid explanation for that night,"

"I still don't believe him, ha sorry," Niall snorts and shakes his head as he picks up his water bottle on his tray to drink.

I just sigh.

My eyes catch someone nearing our lunch table and I realize it is Harry. He has a piece of paper in his hand and a small smile spreads across his lips. I watch his curls flop as he walks.

"Hey, Niall," he grins and Niall turns around.

I watch them fist bump, reminding me of kids.

"Sup, Haz,"

"Haz? Really?" Paige rolls her eyes.

"You don't see me making fun of your name," Harry frowns before a smirk is tugged at his lips, "What do you like to do when reading books?"

"What?" Paige snaps at the green-eyed boy.

"Turn the paige," he laughs at his own joke, holding his stomach as his shoulders shake.

"What did you even come over here for?" She snaps again, in a ruder tone and I can tell she hates him more that I had thought.

It's actually amusing to watch, really.

"Well," Harry holds out the paper in his hands, "the boys and I are having an end of the year party thrown. Wouldn't wanna miss that," he hands Niall the slip.

"It's the address and time to be there," he adds before looking over at me for the first time today.

"Oh hey Claire, I didn't see you there,"

Of course he didn't.

"I'm sitting right in front of you," I say.

He turns around so that his back is facing me.

"Actually, you were sitting behind me, must be why I couldn't see you," he looks over his shoulder and a grin is plastered onto his face before he walks away.

He turns around one last time and shouts, careless of how many people are shouting over him in this cafeteria.

"Make sure you come!"

Paige and I roll my eyes.

"Will do!" Niall shouts back.

"God, does he actually think he's funny?" I say to them as soon as Harry sits down.

Paige rubs her temples, "and you wonder why I hate them so much. They're jerks!"

Niall places his hands on her shoulders and gives them a light massage as she leans into him and I sigh.

-

"Are you going?" Zayn asks me as soon as Niall's car drops me off home and he speeds away like always.

I hadn't seen Zayn there because he was always out at night so this was a little strange for me.

One of his hands were on the metal gate while the other dug into his jean jacket. Why did he have to just stand there looking perfect everyday? It really makes things harder for me.