chapter 13

I take the pillow, the last object in the box, and place it on my new bed.

"I'm just glad we convinced your mother to let you share a dorm with me," I tell Paige, as she takes books out of a big box and places them in the bookcase.

"Me too, we both know she's strict and I have a feeling my dad had a say in it,"

"Probably," I say, plopping on my newly made bed from exhaustion.

"I can't believe you haven't dated anyone this summer. Was your plan to go to college single?" She asks me, rearranging the last book that happened to be one my favorites, titled "Lucas"

"Can I borrow that book?" I ask instead of answering her question.

"Claire, don't try to talk your way out of this. Why haven't you dated anyone? I mean there were so many guys that liked you and they were so hot, so why did you reject them?" She puts her hand on her hip.

Because none of them were Zayn, I thought.

Truth was, I have been thinking about him this summer since he moved for college. I missed him so much. I cried that whole night when he left. I never knew i'd ever cry over a guy, even though Zayn wasn't just any guy. Zayn was M, artsyM, he was my friend, and everything to me. That day I really felt like my heart had been shattered although I knew it was coming. I just hadn't expected it to come so swiftly.

"C," he called me, taking a strand of my hair and placing it behind my ear, "I-I want you to know that i'll miss you, okay?"

I was dumbfounded and the only thing it seemed like I knew how to do, was nod.

"And also," he fidgets with his fingers, "you were my everything."

I felt tears brim my eyes once he told me that, because once we found that we were made for each other, we were torn apart; going separate ways, probably forever. I was sure he would go off and date someone else, start a life with them, love them more than he loved me, and he would be happy. I was sure that he'd start a new life free from worries, and most of all, without me.

"And you were mine." I say the words in a hushed whisper.

The corners of his mouth turn up and he looks down at my lips.

For a moment I think we are about to kiss, but a female voice interrupts us.

"You ready to leave, Zayn?" his mum calls from behind him, I suppose she is only driving him to the airport to see him off.

Zayn turns around, "Yeah, mum,"

He turns back towards me, a sad look on his face. Seconds later, a small but still saddened smile spreads over his lips.

"So I guess this is, hello,"

I smile too, mirroring Zayn's mood.

"Hello, Zayn."

And those were the last words I ever spoke to Zayn Malik.

"I don't know," I finally answer Paige's question, sighing.

"Yes you do," she wiggles her eyebrows, "you're still in love with him, aren't you?"

If I lie, she'll just catch me in the process.

"I guess,"

"I knew it! You don't have to be so in love with Zayn, theres other guys like Liam and Harry,"

"What? I thought you hated them?"

"Eh, they're alright once you get to know them. Niall has them in the dorm rooms all the time, besides I think Harry likes you,"