13; Lucas

"Today's Saturday," Elly reminded herself out loud as she walked through the apartment lobby. "That means yesterday was Friday, the day after I was rescued, which means the day before was Thursday. And that means Thursday's were needle days." She shivered, fingers hovering near the elevator buttons. "Hm. I was sure they were Mondays. It only made sense because Mondays are the worst days of the week."

    She pressed the button for the fifth floor and leaned against the rail. It was around twelve fifteen. Her parents would be worried sick by now. She told them she'd be back by twelve at the latest. They probably had a search party sent out already.

When she reached her apartment door, the weekly newspaper sat carelessly tossed in the way. She picked it up, the plastic bag rustling in her hands. Knowing her parents would be somewhere nearby on the other side, she knocked.

Immediately, the door swung open. But it wasn't her mother or father who stood there to greet her. It was someone else, taller than both of them, with her mom's blond hair and striking green eyes. It was her brother.

"Lucas!"

The newspaper was left neglected on the ground as Elly leaped into Lucas' arms. He pulled her close, dragging her inside the apartment at the same time. Some of their older neighbors slept in late on the weekends and he didn't want to disturb them. Dad shut the door after retrieving his copy of the newspaper.

"I've missed you so much," Elly sniffed, leaving tear stains on Lucas' gray t-shirt.

"I've missed you too, El."

The two rocked back and forth on their feet, holding each other tightly. Lucas had gone back to college after the official announcement of Elly's forever disappearance. But when he heard his little sister had returned home, he packed up and took a last minute trip from Princeton University in New Jersey to stay a week with his family.

Elly pulled back and looked up at Lucas, cheeks shining. "I'm a mess."

He chuckled. "It's okay. Here, sit down." He led her to the couch, where they sat beside one another. Mom and Dad took the chairs across from them. They were grinning.

"How long are you staying?" Elly asked. She swiped at the wetness on her face.

"Until next Sunday. I'm far enough along in my classes that I can spare a week for you."

    She grinned. "Thanks." Then her smile faded, and she scooted to face him. "I need to tell you something."

    Lucas gave her his full attention, green eyes searching her hazel ones. "Sure. Whenever you're ready."

    "I'm so sorry for how awful I was to you. To all of you." She gestured to Mom and Dad, who nodded understandingly. She'd already told them this, but she needed to say it to all of them together. "I realize how irresponsible I was being, shutting everyone out and all. I'm sorry. Please forgive me."

She looked up into the mature face of her only brother and watched his lips turn up proudly. "It's okay. I forgive you. I'm just happy you're home and back to the Elly we used to know. You know, it's weird," he began, scratching his cheek. "It's been so long since you've actually opened up that I feel like I don't know you anymore. But at the same time, it's like you never left."

    "I know." She sighed, embarrassed and disappointed in herself. "But I'll be better from now on. I promise."

    Mom shifted in her seat. "Honey, we're taking you to the police station tomorrow morning," she informed softly. "We didn't want to throw it on you immediately since you just got back, but they need to file a report and try to catch the person who kidnapped you."

    Biting on her bottom lip, Elly ducked her head and stared down at her hands. "Okay."

    Lucas placed a hand on her shoulder. "We'll all be with you. Don't worry."

"I won't. It's just . . . hard to explain."

    The flash of hesitance was quickly replaced with happiness. Elly enjoyed the rest of the day spending time with her family. It brought back fond memories of her childhood, and reminded her how quickly time goes by.

Having Lucas home was the best thing she could have imagined. He was one of the kindest people Elly had ever known. He was such a gentleman; and one with a fantastic taste in fashion and beauty. As a boy he'd enjoyed decorating Elly's face with their mother's makeup, and he always insisted on choosing his own outfits, even as a toddler.

Elly used to hate that he loved to tease her. When they were both living at home, it annoyed her to no end. But she found that she missed his constant nitpicking and jolly humor.

    Lucas brought his eleven-year-old dog, Lila, along with him. Pets weren't permitted at Princeton, but he lived in an apartment complex not far from the college campus, therefore allowing him the freedom to keep and care for his trusted, four-legged companion.

Lila was his closest comrade out of all his good friends. She was always at his side, and he was always doting on her. Scratching her head, her belly, sneaking food under the table for her to munch on, letting her sleep beside him in bed. She brought him comfort, and cuddling her was like therapy for him after a particularly tough day, or when he was just in a bad mood in general.

    Elly loved Lila almost as much as Lucas did, and was happy to see the small, brown, highland terrier wandering around their parents' apartment again. She was a sweet little thing who loved attention, but never begged for it. She didn't need to. Each member of the family had done their share of spoiling her over the years.

    The day was filled with many laughs and smiles. But as the night grew dark and their parents turned in, Lucas stood up from his seat. The soft, yellow light of the lamps illuminated his soft spoken features. "You should go to bed," he told Elly, voice quiet.

    "Not yet," she said. "I need a few more minutes."

    He reached up and scratched his cheek. "Okay. Um . . . I have to meet up with a friend in just a few minutes."

    Frowning, Elly also stood. "How long will you be gone?"

    "About an hour."

    "Is it just to catch up? What friends would you have outside of the city?"

    "Eh. It's more of a business meeting," replied Lucas. He headed for the door, slipping into a jacket on the way. The weather was nice during the day, but at night it got chilly.

Elly followed him. "For what?"

"This girl wants to hire me to design costumes for a program she's putting together. We're meeting to go over the details, and what she wants the look to be."

"Alright. I'll probably be asleep when you get back." She leaned against the wall, watching his hand twist the doorknob. "Be careful, okay?"

Lucas chortled. "I will." He looked back over his shoulder and winked.

Elly rolled her eyes, a smile playing at the corners of her mouth. She closed the door behind him as he left, then returned to her chair near the window. A moment later, he exited the apartment complex below. Stuffing his hands in his jeans pockets, he strolled up the street, disappearing behind a building in the distance.