19; Nightmares

Lucas stepped out of his bedroom and into the dark hallway. The beeping and honking of the vehicles whooshing by was slightly muffled from inside. It was comforting to him, knowing that the city never slept, but from where he stood in the familiar apartment he'd spent his high school years in, it was calm. On the thirty-fifth floor, he towered above the rest of the world where nothing could touch him. From above he could watch the goings on at a distance. It was soothing to get away from it all.

As he entered the kitchen, he caught the lighted numbers on the microwave, prompting Lucas to check his watch even though he could clearly see the time on the appliances. It was exactly two thirty. He regretted his lack of sleep the past few hours, then reminded himself he couldn't help it. He'd been tossing and turning since he'd turned the lamp off at eleven.

    Yawning, he trudged to the refrigerator in search of something to distract himself from the burning in his eyes. He squinted against the light as he swung the door open. Leftover Chinese takeout greeted him, and Elly's giant, chocolate, half-eaten cupcake looked delicious. He reached for it hesitantly.

The floor creaked behind him. He spun around, pressing his back to the open fridge. It was cold.

From the city lights trickling through the living room windows, Lucas could make out the features of a female, though he had no idea whether it was his mother or his sister. As she grew up, Elly tended to resemble their mom more and more. Sometimes people confused the two if they weren't both in clear sight.

She just stood there, one hand covering her mouth and the other arm wrapped tightly around her abdomen as if she was going to be sick. Worried, Lucas stepped closer, letting the refrigerator door snap shut. As he approached, her face became more visible and he recognized her as Elly. Her eyes were round. She drew in hasty breaths.

    "What's wrong, El?" Lucas rested his hand on her shoulder, bending down to study her face. She seemed shaken up. "Elly. Are you okay? What happened?"

    She couldn't speak. Her voice got caught in her throat. All she could do was shake her head and pinch her eyes closed, willing the images to go away.

    With Lucas' comforting presence to lead her, they crossed over to the living room and sat on the couch. Elly felt safe within his brotherly embrace. But fear still gripped her heart.

Lucas rubbed her arm. "What happened?" He prodded gently.

Memories still flashing like sirens in her head, Elly whispered, "I had a nightmare."

    "About your abduction?"

She nodded.

Lucas' heart dropped. Elly had seemed perfectly fine the past couple of days. She smiled and laughed a lot. She was adjusting wonderfully. But nightmares meant she was still trying to let go of the past half year, and it would be a longer process than her family had originally hoped.

He had to admit, when she first started to recount her tale, he and his parents didn't believe her. Had it not been for the more frequent sightings of robots, kidnappings, and the reassurance of the officers that she was most likely telling the truth, they would've sent her to a mental hospital.

    "When did these start?" When he leaned over to peer at her face, she was biting her lip so hard he worried it might draw blood. "Elly," he coaxed.

    She met his eyes. They were frightened. Desperate. "After the police."

    "After they asked you all those questions?"

    She continued to stare at him with those wide, terrified orbs. He knew the answer was yes. She'd been doing great until she had to relive the memories in order to answer the tons of questions she was asked. Then her peace was over.

"I don't want to go back," she murmured.

"Hm?"

    She was too quiet for Lucas to hear.

Elly reached out and latched onto Lucas' other hand that sat in his lap. "I don't want to go back." She tried to swallow the lump in her throat. She didn't want to cry. She wanted to be strong.

    He hugged her close, wishing for his sister's pain to be over. Somehow he determined to help her get through this. He wanted better for her.

She shook fearfully beneath him, wrapping her arms around herself like she thought it would protect her. Slow breaths in, then out. In, out.

Fear turned to frustration. Now she was angry; at herself, at her captors. It was over, and she knew that. But the mental pictures were still there, taunting her. Dangling in front of her eyes as if daring her to resist them. All she wanted to do at that moment was sleep, then live the rest of her life in the present instead of the past. But the memories wouldn't allow that if they had their way.

    The couch cushion suddenly bounced up as Lucas stood, giving Elly a start. She tightened her hold on his hand, silently pleading him not to leave.

    He smiled down at her with that quirky little grin he used when trying to lighten the mood. "Come with me."

    She barely understood his soft words, spoken through lips that seemed to not move at all in the untrustworthy lights flickering from outside. He tugged her arm, prompting her to her feet. With Elly sticking to him like glue, they stumbled all of six feet to the kitchen again.

    With a little hesitation from his younger sibling, Lucas was able to separate himself from her and turn on the light while she sat down at the island. They both hissed as the room lit up, faces scrunching up unattractively. He went to the fridge and fumbled around as his vision adjusted, accidentally knocking a can of soda to the floor. It hit the ground with a loud thump, and both siblings hissed again.

    The cupcake he'd considered devouring earlier sat in wait. He grabbed it and spun around, holding it out to her. "Cupcake?" He suggested, squinting at her.

Elly shaded her eyes, staring at the leftover dessert, then her brother. Her heart grew warm. "Cupcake," she replied.

    He set it in front of her then sat down in the next seat over. As she ate, he eyed the cake hungrily. His stomach growled. He licked his lips. "You gonna finish all that by yourself?" He asked with a hinting tone in his voice.

    "Yes."

    "Oh."