18; Explain

Darkness. An empty expanse of black. Nothing as far as the eye could see. There was no sound. Just silence.

But then there was a soft, static squeal, and a voice. It was muffled. Contained. It sounded like he was under water, and the voice was still on the surface.

"I . . . please . . . just . . . up . . . miss you . . ."

A gentle, white light slowly began to grow from the depths of the darkness. The emptiness fizzled out, fading away. His eyes felt heavy. He was tired. He was awake. Feeling returned to his limbs. The surface he rested on was hard. Flat. Someone held his hand, murmuring into his ear.

"Casey? Are you awake? Please wake up soon. It's been forever and I really, really miss you. I want to ask you so many questions, but I'll try not to overwhelm you. I just . . . really want you to wake up." She sighed.

"Well then I guess you're in luck," he croaked, squeezing her hand in return. She gasped.

    Carefully, he opened his eyes, hissing as the unexpected brightness hit him. He scrunched his eyelids together, then blinked until his vision adjusted well enough to look around. He chuckled as he realized where he was. "Donnie's lab hasn't changed a bit." Everything was in the exact same spot he remembered it being. But then again, Casey had never been very observant. Maybe things had changed. He just wouldn't know it.

    "Are you okay?" April watched him with worry creased in her pretty features.

"I'm great. Little headache, but it'll pass." He looked up at her. "How long have I been out?"

    "A day," she answered quietly.

    He let out a long whistle. "Guy's gotta get some beauty rest every now and then, you know what I'm saying?"

She shook her head, obviously unamused. "It's not something to joke about, Case. I was really worried."

He closed his eyes and smiled. "Did I ever tell you how much I love it when you say my name?"

"No. You left before ever telling me that." There was a drop of hurt in her tone of voice. A hint of anger.

    "Woah, woah, woah, Red." He tried to sit up, but was only strong enough to lift himself onto his elbows, disrupting the sheets that rested on his body. "You're not mad at me, are you? I promise I can explain everything."

    She turned her head away. "I sure hope so."

    "I can, and I will. Just hear me out, okay?" His voice was gentle but pleading. He had a reason for what he'd done. He just needed his friends to understand.

    "Knock, knock." Donatello rapped his knuckles against the door and peeked inside. Noticing Casey propped up on the table, he opened it all the way and stepped inside.

"Hey, Donnie! Long time no see."

Don grinned right back. Even though he could've honestly said Casey Jones was his least favorite person on the planet a few years ago, the absence of the man had made him realize how much he actually enjoyed his presence. "I'm glad you're awake. Does anything feel off?"

"Just got a slight headache. Other than that I feel almost normal."

"I didn't find any major injuries, so you should be up and moving again within another day or so."

"Thanks, man."

    Donnie sauntered over to his desk. "Don't mention it. We're all happy to have you back."

    Casey nodded. "I'm happy to be back. How's life been without me?"

    "Cleaner. Quieter."