32; Darkness and Light

Lucas held the car door for Karai as she gathered her cloak and dress in her hand and stepped out. As the uber drove away, she slipped into her silver heels. Lucas offered her his arm, and they entered the bright hotel complex before them.

Inside was being held an extravagant party thrown by Anthony Pierce, the most successful law prodigy in the modern world. His accomplishments as a lawyer surpassed those of many of the most influential lawyers combined, and his fortune, which he had accumulated over time, made him part of the fifteen percent of law school graduates to make a higher than average salary. In fact, the man was a Forbes-List-confirmed millionaire.

    Pierce had graduated college with the Mason's, and the three were longtime friends. Because of this, Elly and Lucas were to stand in attendance with their parents at Anthony Pierce's penthouse party on floor sixty-nine.

"I'm glad you're here," Lucas admitted quietly when they'd reached the elevator. He leaned back against the handrail and lifted his face to the ceiling.

Karai shook off her cloak, tossed it over her arm, and rolled her shoulders. "Thanks for inviting me. I needed a night out," she replied and glanced up at him.

    He looked down at her with a twinkle in his green eyes and a smile made of vicuña, though his shirt was satin.

It was also red; they had coordinated.

    Karai suddenly felt self-conscious and looked down. The hem of her dress became rather interesting as she gave in to bashfulness. How unusual she had been feeling of late.

    The elevator dinged and the doors slid open to reveal a lighted room full of people wearing extravagant clothing. Trays of hors d'oeuvres maneuvered through the crowd of mingling guests. On the high ceiling above, a crystal chandelier shone down upon the large room, and a breeze provided fresh air from the open balcony on the other side.

    Lucas offered Karai his arm once again. He smiled at her reassuringly before leading her into the social gathering, of which she wasn't at all nervous about. The only reason she was flustered was because of Lucas' face.

    A brunette, also known as Elly, approached the couple, hauling a floor-length, forest green dress along with her. Her crystal earrings swayed as she clacked toward them, betrayal written all over her dot-to-dot freckles. She halted in front of Lucas, glaring from him to Karai as though she wasn't sure who to be more upset with.

Lucas dropped his arm from Karai's to grab Elly's hand, pulling her closer. "Here you are!" He exclaimed, ignoring his sister's obvious anger. "Elly, let me introduce you to good friend, Karma. Karma, this is my little sister, Elly."

Something about hearing the words: "good friend", made Karai cast her eyes downward. Disappointment replaced bliss. But only for a moment.

She kept her shoulders high and with a polite smile, nodded to Elly. "It's nice to finally meet you on such . . . good terms as these," she greeted.

    Elly lifted her chin, staring down her nose at the Japanese kunoiche who stood about four inches shorter than she. "Good terms indeed," she muttered through tight lips.

"Lucas has told me so much about you," admitted Karai, "that I feel like we've already been friends for years."

    "Don't count on us ever being friends, Karai."

    Unintimidated by the contempt in the nineteen-year-old's attitude, Karai continued to smile.

    Lucas leaned down to Karai and said, "will you excuse us for a minute? I need to talk with Elly alone."