Chapter 4

As the morning sun peeked into the sky filling the world around them with life. The birds now awoken chirped a delightful tune that filled the air along with the sweet smell of morning dew. The brothers awoke to all this quite groggily not fully appreciating the majesty that surrounded them in there tiny cottage home. Ichimatsu as the first to take notice of the a sweet smell that accompanied the damp morning atmosphere that filled the air. not willing to break the calm morning energy Ichimatsu chose not to awake his brother's and gently crawled out of bed to investigate the mysterious smell. Upon looking at his surroundings all seemed at peace as his brothers moaned and groaned at the approaching new day refusing to leave their comfy sleeping spots each one in bed except for osomatsu who was curled up fast asleep on the floor. Looking up Ichimatsu expected to see princess
(y/n) sound asleep on Osomatsu's bed but was only meet with nicely folded sheets atop the bed. It wasn't until he heard a faint toon that did not belong to the birds that he slowly put the pieces together. He gently made his way down stairs, putting as little pressure on each foot down the stairs to avoid the squeaking steps and turned the corner to the kitchen. there he saw the princess in an apron carefully mixing something in a bowl with a wooden spoon quietly humming to herself. Ichimatsu stared for quite some time. Was.. Was the freaking princess making breakfast for the shitty, virgin, NEET, trash that were the sextuplets? She couldn't possible- Ichimatsu's train of thought was cut short abruptly as Ichimatsu took note of the sudden disappearance of sweet humming, snapping out of his daze he was startled to find the princess's own eyes staring back into his own. Quickly looking down Ichimatsu felt as though a stone had lodged itself Into his throat as he tried to stumble out words. Slowly the atmosphere became more and more awkward as the princess stared at him awaiting his words. Ichimatsu felt his entire being burn up as he tried to strangle words out of himself. "U-U-Um" Ichimatsu choked out as he mentally screamed at himself. As he gazed down he was unaware of the princess setting down the bowl and wooden spoon she was holding, slowly walking over to him and gently grabbing his hand. Ichimatsu's body tensed up as the princess gently squeezed his hand and slowly led him into the kitchen. (y/n) let go of Ichimatsu's hand and picked up the bowl continuing to stir the mixture inside and hummed. Ichimatsu staring in bewilderment at the princess not sure what to make of the situation. As Ichimatsu began to drift back into a daze of confused rapid thoughts the princess once again broke his train of thought. "what should I put in?" Asked the princess not removing her gaze from the bowl in her arms. Ichimatsu looked at her dumbfounded before the princess spoke again. "The muffins I'm making, what should I put inside them?" As she spoke she gestured her free arm towards the counter to where a selection of different fruits and berries laid. Ichimatsu still a little shocked by the entire situation attempted to put up his usual front. "Tch, you're making them aren't you? Shouldn't you decide?" Ichimatsu instantly hated the words as they fell out of his mouth. What was he doing talking to a princess in such a way? Why was trash like him talking to a princess at all? (y/n) didn't bat an eye at Ichimatsu nature and cheerfully spoke more "well I am making them for you so what do you like?" Ichimatsu surprised at the princess lack of offense to his comment looked down once more. "Blackberries..." Ichimatsu mumbled out. Glancing up Ichimatsu was met with the princess grinning at him widely him. Before he could mutter a single word of protest the bowl (y/n) was holding was thrust into his arms as (y/n) scooped up a handful of blackberries and dropped them into the muffin mixture, Handing Ichimatsu the wooden spoon. (y/n) still grinning, gently spoke to the boy placing a single finger on her mouth as a sign for him to be quiet . "Now let's bake! But quietly, we don't wanna wake the others, or else it'll ruin our little quiet time together" Ichimatsu once again found himself staring wide eyed at the girl before him. They silently stayed together pouring ingredients together to make more batches of muffins as the heat from the oven kept the whole cottage cozy and warm. As they placed a third batch of muffins in the oven they nodded to one another silently agreeing that they had made enough for the time being. One batch of blackberry, one of blueberry, and one of raspberry. (y/n) got up from her leaning position over the stove carefully watching the muffins rise and approached the front door. Ichimatsu was hesitant to follow but as the girl threw a gleeful smile over her shoulder at him he was forced to follow along like a helpless kitten. As they stepped out the cottage the girl took something stinky out of her apron pocket. Ichimatsu had seen her cutting it up earlier but was stumped at what she would want it for. Inspecting closer it appeared to be... fish? Ichimatsu furrowed his brow, he was getting annoyed with how befuddling this girl was. What could she possible want with that fi-"meow!" Ichimatsu eyebrows raised in surprise as he looked around the corner to find one of his many cat friends along with Esper Nyanko. That girl, she couldn't possible be... (y/n) grinned happily and approached the cat leaning down and reaching out her hand to let the feline sniff it. Once it had sniffed her hand it pushed its face against her hand rubbing its face all over her as she giggled at the kitties antics before placing the food before both the cats. Looking back at Ichimatsu, (y/n) began to explain herself sensing his questions. " I spotted them when I went out earlier this morning to harvest ingredients, and I thought a snack would be nice...".
(y/n) looked back down at the felines and began to snuggle them in her arms as Ichimatsu stood still cheeks beginning to flush. 'This girl really is something else... '

Soon all the brothers arose greeted by yummy muffins. Sitting down at the table they all said their thanks and began to devour the muffins like starving animals. (y/n) would have to get used to that. As they ate they spoke to one another. The princess asking questions about their lives and the brothers asked the same of her. After discussing the circumstances that had originally led the princess to the cottage it was decided that one brother would stay with her each day to keep Her safe as the others went to the mines.
Soon as breakfast was finished and discussions came to an end five of the brothers began to march towards the mines grumbling incoherent curses as one stayed by the princess's side. Today it was Karamatsu since he had won the intense game of rock paper scissors deciding who would stay by (y/n)'s side. The two began to clean the dishes together Karamatsu throwing a compliment the princess's way every few seconds. Soon they came to a stop having finished the dishes and Karamatsu suggested they go on a "romantic stroll" as he put it. They departed from the cottage and began to walk aimlessly amongst the trees it was only once they Reached a small open plain of flowers that Karamatsu spoke again. Grinning at the girl beside him he sat onto the ground gesturing for the princess to sit beside him. As she did he placed a pair of sunglasses onto his eyes and took a big breath beginning to speak "oh my gorgeous Karamatsu girl how kind it is of you to bestow upon us brothers the honor of being by your side. Your hair graceful as though it was spun from the finest silk and you're skin as radiant as the sun OH BLESSED PRINCESS YOU HAVE CURSED ME! For I will forever only long to see beauty in its truest form that is you! My Karamatsu girl! No! My Karamatsu Princess!
The princess stood listening to all of this quite perplexed. What was this man rambling on about? Was he honestly complimenting her in such a long winded fashion? Surely such frivolous flirting wouldn't tempt the prin- and there she was a blushing mess... both hands covering her face as an explosion of pink and red hues erupted onto her face as she attempted to make herself smaller in a fetal position. It was only than that Karamatsu took note of the princess's state and bent down to comfort her. suddenly the previously very confident man became much more tender "p-princess? Are you alright?" Karamatsu moved his hands over to try to give her comforting hug when he was stopped in his tracks by the princesses words. "Please stop... " Karamatsu froze. Was he being painful again? The last thing he wanted was to hurt the dear princess... Tears began to prick at the edge of his eyes. Was he really that distasteful? "Wha"-"you are going to make my heart explode" the princess quickly cut him off leaving him speechless. Wait what? This wasn't the usual reaction he got. Hesitantly Karamatsu put his finger under the princesses chin and lifted it gently. Karamatsu was met with a heavily blushing face that pouted lightly. Averting her eyes the princess spoke honestly "I'm not very good with compliments, so when you say so many nice things to me my heart gets a bit overwhelmed..." Karamatsu stared dumbfounded at the girl as a blush equally red made its way onto his own face. Standing up abruptly Karamatsu was only able to stumble out a squeaky "we better get back" before beginning to fast walk back to the cottage, (y/n) following close behind. Karamatsu's heart beat intensely as he walked as if there were an orchestra of drums within his chest. Sneaking a glance over his shoulder at the princess Karamatsu came to a final conclusion with himself. The princess was a strange girl. And he would do anything for her, guided by the drumming of his chest.