Comatose part 2

Colin's pov:

Cold autumn air bit at my face as soon as I stepped out the door. I hissed and cursed myself for not bringing a scarf or at least a better jacket.

I pulled up my hoodie and hurried to the waiting bus, grabbing a seat in the middle.

The ride itself was uneventful, and I enjoyed simply staring out the window and listening to the random chatter of the other kids.

It was when I was making my way out the door that the bus driver grabbed my arm. I turned wondering what safety violation our stern old driver found with me this time, but was greeted with the heavily lipstick coated smile of a lady who looked to be in her early forties.

The lady didn't say anything, but when I looked her in the eyes her smile broadened. I was about to ask her what she thought she was doing when she suddenly released my arm and opened the bus door.

"Have a great day Mr. Colin" she said cheerily.

Thoroughly weirded out now, I nodded and stepped off the bus.

"What a nutcase." I muttered.

<<<>>>

I dropped my pencil on my desk and rubbed my eyes. I had finally finished all my homework and couldn't wait to collapse into bed.

Standing up, I stretched and stumbled over to my bed, throwing myself down and pulling the blanket over me.

I was asleep within moments.

And within moments I woke up.

I sat up and stared blankly at the wall, then looked over at the alarm clock.

I blinked at it several times before I could make it out and it read seven thirty am.

I flung myself out of bed and grabbed it. Why didn't my alarm wake me up? I shook it a few times and slammed it down on the desktop. I threw on some clothes and went to open my door, but I paused with my hand on the doorknob.

Something felt off, but I couldn't place my finger on it.

I only paused for a moment though. I ran down the stairs and grabbed some bread and slathered it with jelly. After wolfing that down I grabbed an apple and headed towards the door.

I knew I missed the bus and would have to ride my old bike if I wanted to make it on time.

By the time I got to school I was sweaty and probably smelled like a dog in need of a bath. Groaning internally I parked my bike and began to head inside, but stopped after a few steps.

This time I knew something was wrong. No one was here. There weren't any busses dropping off crowds of noisy kids. There weren't even any birds loudly singing in the bare trees.

The place was as quiet as death.

Every hair on the back of my neck stood up and chills ran down my spine.

Pushing down my fear I remounted my bike and rode back home, this time paying attention to my surroundings.

There were no active cars on the road. No people out in their front yards getting the mail or letting their dog out. No early morning joggers along the sidewalk. The houses were just there, looking bleak and sad without their inhabitants.

Leaving my bike in the garage, I quietly walked into the kitchen and hesitantly called out for my family.

When no answer came I tried calling them on my phone. For some weird reason it wouldn't turn on. And I soon discovered there was no electricity. And nothing that ran on batteries worked either.

It was getting rather difficult to ignore the rising panic inside me.

Gulping down the sick feeling I walked back to my room, locked the door and buried myself in homework.

<<<>>>

It was getting late by the time I finished redoing most of the past weeks homework. Oddly enough, I didn't feel hungry at all, nor did I feel the need to use the bathroom, despite not moving all day.

Only then did it occur to me that this whole thing might be a dream.

I laughed at my stupidity and walked over to the window to watch the sunset.

Just before the sun set completely, I was about to head to the kitchen to eat the entire fridge, when something caught my eye.

I peered out the window and right as the last rays of the sun disappeared, I saw something in the shadows move.

My breath caught in my throat and goosebumps ran up my arm. Someone was out there.

I strained my eyes to make out what it was but just as it stepped out into the dim light, everything disappeared and I woke up to a blaring alarm clock.