Tunnel Patrol 0

At first, we thought the black liquid pooling at the base of the cave wall was oil, that for once luck was on our side and we would be able to retire and live in leisure. We had even started writing down all the ways each of us would spend the money. Naturally our first choice was a ticket to the surface. Each one of us had different dreams and personalities, but if we had one thing in common, it was the longing to see the sky. Below that on the list were simpler things like tasting an exotic food, getting an expensive gift for someone they liked, or visiting family.
Most of us were still excitedly filling the list when the oldest of our patrol cried out behind us. We turned to see him lying on the ground, frantically pushing himself away from the writhing black substance. It had seemingly sprung to life and was slowly crawling up the old man's leg, which was withering away under its touch. We stood frozen in shock, not knowing what to do. Until our captain, infamously known as a woman of action, pushed through us, her axe in hand, and in one swift movement, cut off the man's leg. The liquid, reaching the end of the severed leg, lurched forward to find the rest of it, but the captain pulled the man away and it fell short. Now having nothing to latch onto, it grew still and once again seemed like an innocent pool of oil. Stunned, we stared at it, the pained groans of the old man the only sound permeating the silence. 

 It looked like Tunnel Patrol 0 finally had something interesting to report. 

Note: This isn't quite a daydream since it was an assignment for class, but it's going here anyway.