Our House

Day 136:

It has been a little over 4 months since we found the farm. The guys left yesterday evening for supplies since we think Milli is due in a couple months. We have enough food thanks to the farm, but we need other things if we hope to raise a baby here.
I thank God no one has found this place yet, I'm afraid of what would happen if word got out we have a garden full of food to support us and a mostly intact barn and house. Not to mention working guns and enough ammo to last us at least for the next year. This place would be swarming with hunters and desperate people, and we would be dead within the week.
On a lighter note, Ann found an old book in the attic last night! I think its about a girl in a post-apocalyptic world where the government sends kids to fight in this arena. I find it very interesting to see what pre-collapse people thought the fall of civilization would be like. So far I haven't found a book that's anything like our w

There was a distant clang and the faint scratching of the pen stopped abruptly. Crawling out from under a desk where she liked to write, a teenage girl stood up and dusted off her faded overalls. Stowing her journal in the only pocket that wasn't ripped, she walked into the kitchen where she found Milli struggling to pick up a large bowl that had fallen on the floor. Milli was a very sweet, middle aged woman. She had burn scars covering her neck and a small part of her face, which they believed was the reason she was mute. And as she was 7 months pregnant, reaching the floor was rather difficult. 
The girl smiled and picked the bowl up for her, setting it on the counter.

"Oh thank you Athena." Milli signed, slowly enough for Athena to read, "Sorry, did I disturb your writing?"

Athena laughed and shook her head, "Yeah, but it's alright, I was almost finished anyway."

Milli smiled apologetically, "But I don't want to keep you from it. I wish I were smart enough to read and write, it might be easier for everyone to understand me then."

Athena waved dismissively "We can understand you well enough. Even Bil and Mo, who would be able to read sign language just fine if they actually put the effort to learn. They just don't like studying." 

Milli laughed silently and went about making breakfast, as Athena ventured outside to tend to the two wild goats they kept in an old barn. She was joined by a dusty black cat named Shoe, who always hoped there would be extra goat milk to gain after Athena's outdoor chores. 

After finishing most of the more demanding tasks, Athena settled down in a semi-concealed spot in a pile of hay and pulled out her journal, intent on finishing her most recent entree. 

She was less than a minute into writing however when Shoe, who had settled herself next to Athena, sat bolt upright, staring at the barn door for a moment before bolting under the floorboards. Athena immediately followed suit, ducking behind a rotting barrel in the shadows and watching the slightly ajar door apprehensively. 

In a few short moments she became aware of unsteady footsteps approaching from outside. They reached the barn, and slowly and silently the door was pushed open, and a young man clumsily slipped inside.
One of the goats, who along with her companion were waiting just as tensely as Athena, fainted with a plaintive bleat as soon as the man entered the barn. This startled the man who fell backwards against the barn doors, closing them. Athena stifled a nervous laugh and hoped the man didn't hear her.