In Need of Repair

Chase stepped out of the car and studied the house and the old barn just barely visible behind it.

Half turning to May, who had just pulled herself out of the passengers seat, he asked, "Hey, are you sure we're at the right place?"

May nodded wordlessly and pulled her hoodie further over her head, attempting to hide her damaged face within the shadows of it, her exposed cybernetic eye glowing faintly.

"Let's go." She said, her voice scratchy and nearly unintelligible.

With a pained expression, Chase watched her limp towards the house, her left arm uselessly swinging by her side, then followed her.

May pulled herself up the porch stairs and an old, yellow light above them flickered on. With some difficulty, she knocked on the door and a dog's barking could be heard from inside the house.

About a minute passed before the door cracked open and a tired woman peered out at the two teenagers.

"We're sorry to intrude," May rasped, "but is the doctor in? It's urgent."

A confused look crossed the woman's face. "Doctor? There's no doc..."
She paused, then her eyes widened in surprise and she unlatched something then opened the door completely.

"Pardon me, I almost didn't recognize the phrase." She said, motioning for the two to come inside.

Closing the door behind them, the woman grabbed the collar of a friendly black Labrador that was attempting to eat Chase's shoelaces.

"Excuse me for a moment, feel free to make yourselves at home." She smiled, and left the room pulling the enthusiastic dog with her.

An awkward silence followed in which neither of them moved to "make themselves at home". Casting a quick side glance at May, Chase searched for something to say to her, anything to break the ice. He had so many questions, but he couldn't find one that he would deem safe to ask.
Suddenly there was a loud pop and the fizzle of sparks. Chase turned in time to see May grabbing at a coffee table as one of her legs gave out. He rushed over and kneeled beside her.

"Are you ok? What happened?" He asked, his voice laced with concern.

He offered her his hand but she waved it away.

"I'm fine."

"But.."

"Good heavens!" A voice behind them exclaimed, "What happened to you?"

Chase looked up to see an extraordinarily tall man gazing at May with a curious expression. Standing behind him was the woman.
He stood and was about to speak when May grabbed his arm and pulled herself up, using him as a crutch.

"Doctor Milo," she nodded, "it's been a while."

The man squinted at her. "Not many people call me doctor, who are you child?"

"You know me." She chuckled, which sounded much like an old dying engine. "You could say I'm an old friend."

Hesitantly reaching up, she pulled back her hoodie, revealing her torn half-human half-robotic face.
A small gasp escaped the woman and she pressed her hand to her mouth. Milo briefly placed a hand on her shoulder, then walked over to May.

"Why if it isn't May Calliope herself!" He laughed and placed a hand on her shoulder.
His happy expression soon faded as he studied how damaged she was.
"What on earth happened to you?"

May sighed, "That's kind of a long story."

The man grunted. Then turned to Chase.
"I don't think we've met before, my name is Milo Till." He said, extending his hand.
Chase shook it, "Chase Bernard, I'm May's friend."
Milo nodded, "It's a pleasure to meet you Chase."

"Now." He clapped his hands together and looked at May, "Let's get you fixed up, shall we?"