Wishing Well

I couldn't bear it anymore. Watching those two being so happy together. Why did I agree to come to this wedding? I knew it would be torture. But how could I say no to the happiest day of my best friends life? So here I am, at their reception, watching them dance. Seeing that look of absolute joy on his face and dying inside because I know without a trace of doubt, that he chose her.

Excusing myself, I sought out the bathroom furthest from the party.
I pushed the door open and the automatic lights flickered on. The door shut behind me and I stood alone, the chatter of the lively party mere static. My knees suddenly weak, I stumbled over to one of the two mirrors and steadied myself with the counter. Splashing water from the sink in my face, I glanced in the mirror at my pitiful state.
Taking a shaky breath and I mumbled, "Why me? Why did I have to fall in love with him?"
I looked away from my reflection.
"Why did I have to meet him? No..." I paused, and with broken-hearted vehemence refocused the object of my selfish question. "Why did I have to...I wish I never meet Callie?! I could have been happily in her place if only she weren't in my life!"
Realizing the weight of my words and ashamed at my self pity, I pushed myself away from the sinks and sunk into a cold corner at the in the back of the bathroom. Tears now flowed freely down my powdered cheeks and my muffled sobs drowning out the voices of celebration.

Unbeknownst to me, a single drop of shimmering water fell from the faucet I had just used and into the sink below. Unintelligible whispers echoing up from the pipes it traveled through.

With a sharp click, the lights went out. I froze, my eyes darting around the bathroom, and a sudden cold sweat running down my back.
With a shaky laugh I realized it was because the lights were automatic and turn off if they sense no movement. Yet something wasn't right. I sat huddled in the corner, too afraid to move.
Then I realized it was dead quiet. The sounds I could hear from the party had vanished.

I stood up and the lights clicked on. A brief wave of relief washed over me, for some reason I was afraid it would remain dark even if I moved in front of the sensor.
I cautiously stepped out of the bathroom and into the hall, glancing around. The lights were off and I still heard no sounds.
Frantically I snatched my phone from my hand purse, intent to know if I had simply fallen asleep and missed the party. But no, it had only been a little over 15 minutes since I had left.
Panic beginning to wrap itself around my insides, I ran to where the reception was held. It was as dark and vacant, without a single sign to indicate whether the joyful party ever took place.

In the bathroom, another glistening drop fell into the sink, the magical water splashing into tiny droplets that danced around the bowl before spiraling down into the silver drain.
A single, audible whisper wound up the pipes.
"Your deepest desire has been heard, your wish fulfilled. If what you gained did not cure your thirst, you should have thought twice before throwing your lot in with us."
The last word trailed off with a hiss, and the fleeting laughs of whatever ghosts inhabited the ancient, evanescent wishing well faded into silence.