-Chapter 7

I check my mentions. Five years ago, hundreds of 13 year old girls would send me messages and beg me to follow them. The truth is they’ve all grown up, and forgotten about me.

They’re all graduating from high school, moving out, getting jobs, going to college.

I’m just a forgotten memory at the back of their minds.

I’m a nobody.

 I watch as I get one mention from a girl who announces that I’m alive. For over an hour I sit there, watching my mentions move slowly. I think I got about twenty overall. That’s until Anthony tweeted about me, announcing that I’m making videos again. My mentions become flooded with my former fans.

 Why would he do that? Does he feel bad for shutting me out? Yeah, I admit I was a little straight-forward this morning, but he didn’t have to treat me that way.

 I reply to as many fans as I can. It’s hard, because as I reply to one, 20 more people try to talk to me.

 I check my video. An hour ago, it had 10 views. Now it has 20,000. Maybe people haven’t forgotten about me after all.

My phone rings. It’s Anthony. I want to hear his voice again, so I pick up.

He clears his throat. “I’m sorry for what happened this morning Ian.” He says.

“That’s okay.” I say. “Thanks for the whole Twitter thing.”

“It was nothing.” Anthony says, laughing. “People never stopped asking where you were, you know. You were never forgotten.”

“I know.” I say, even though I didn’t know that. I thought everyone hated me because I told them to go away. They wouldn’t have been angry for long though.

 Imagine one day; you’re searching your favourite YouTuber to find that they’ve deleted their whole channel. And then you don’t hear from them for five years. You wonder where they’ve gone, what they’re doing, if they’re alive for that matter.

I feel physically sick now. I’ve done that to my fans. I’ve caused them five years of heartache.