-Chapter 9

I put on my sweater and jeans. I stand by the mirror for half an hour, making sure my hair is okay. I shave off my beard. I don’t want to go out into the outside world, but you have to face your fears sometime, right?

 For the past five years, I’ve posted the bills from a mailbox that was conveniently outside my house. I always dreaded “Bill day” when I had to go outside, because all of the neighbor’s kids would point and snicker at me through the window. I should really just grow up, because they’re only kids right? Kids do stupid things sometimes, like to make a mentally unwell person’s battle for sanity difficult. But I digress.

 As I finished spiking up my hair, I realized something.

 How am I going to get to the real estate office in town? I haven’t registered my car in five years.

I’m going to have to use public transport.

Surely, there are going to be buses around still, right? A lot can happen in five years.

 Almost on cue, I hear a screeching of tires from down the street. Of course! I’ve forgotten that there is a bus stop a few houses down from mine.

I rush out the house to get a glimpse of the thing. Yup, still as I remember it. I go back and grab my backpack and lock up the house properly. I go down to the bus stop and check the bus schedule. There isn’t another bus coming for another 15 minutes, but I don’t mind. I can get use to my surroundings by then.

I lean against the bus shelter. Since I don’t know if my Iphone is obsolete or not, I don’t bring it for the fear of being judged.

I feel my pockets, to make sure I’ve brought along my wallet. It’s there, in my right pocket. I let out a sigh of relief, as I get REALLY paranoid about these things.

  I breathe in the fresh air. It’s not bad being outside actually and it’s nowhere near as stuffy as my house.