-Chapter 29

I was a barrel of nerves. The film crew was due in an hour, and Anthony and I were going over our lines one last time.

We’d stocked up on pizza and pink frosted sprinkled donuts, because we’d go through about 10 of them.

Anthony chose pizza this year because it truly was his favourite food (I mean, the whole point of a food battle is to use your favourite food, right?)

I had learnt all of my lines, Anthony was right. I pulled through! I don’t know why I’m so nervous?

“Ian, you’ve just won food battle! What are you going to do now?” Anthony says, pretending to be the reporter.

“I-I-I’m going to play Mario!”

“Oh boy, can I come?”

“NOOOOOO!” I say, relieved that I’ve finished saying my lines.

“What’s with the stutter?” Anthony says, fiddling with the script. 

I hit my head against the wall. “I’m so nervous Anthony. I don’t know if I can do this!”

“It’s not like its live Ian.” He says, becoming a bit stressed. “We can’t have this! Are you going to be okay or not?” He shakes me. “You will be fine! Just take a few deep breaths!”

At that moment, the crew pulls up. They’re an hour early!

The stress really starts to get to me now.

“Ian, come and help with setting up please.” Anthony says. “Lock up afterwards!”

I lock the door and head over to the park. So many memories!

Anthony and I used to play here as children. And the fact that we’ve lived just around the corner from it for almost fifteen years now is awesome.

I meet the crew again. It’s really good to see them all.

I’m so touched that they never forgot about us.

As I’m setting up, I look over to Anthony, who is talking with the producers and the boom mic operator. He notices me looking, and flashes me one of his gorgeous smiles.

Some reassurance from Anthony has made me feel so much better.

We set up a table in the field, just like the first food battle in 2005, so many years ago now. Anthony was going to be sitting at the table, eating pizza. I’m going to walk up to him and challenge him to a food battle.

With my and Anthony’s help, setting up only takes half an hour. By now, I’m not stressed or nervous at all. I can thank Anthony for that, I guess. He’s my rock.

The producers tap me on the shoulder, letting me know it’s time. I have to stand in a certain spot and start walking to it. The director gets ready for our take. I wait for those words, to let me know when it’s time. The wait feels like it goes on and on, but really, it’s only a few seconds. Everything seems to move in slow motion. I don’t know if it’s just me.

“Food battle 2017, scene one, take one. ACTION!”