-Chapter 17

“Ian, wake up.” Anthony says, shaking me. I try to turn over, and then I remember that I’m paralyzed from the waist down.

“What’s the point?” I mutter. “I’m never going to enjoy life ever again.”

Anthony sighs. “Yes you will, I’ve got a surprise for you. Just wake up.”

I open my eyes to see my whole family by my bedside. Some of these people I haven’t seen for five years.

Most of them bombard me with the same question. “Do you remember me?” They ask.

I can’t believe this. It’s not like the bullet in my brain gave me amnesia. I try to tolerate all of it, but I can’t.

“GET THE FUCK OUT! ALL OF YOU!” I yell.

“How rude.” One of my aunts mutters.

“I heard he was admitted to a mental institution.” Another adds.

As the crowd dies down, that’s when I notice her.

Her long blonde hair is gone; replaced with a pixie cut, dyed brown. She’s wearing mirror sunglasses. It’s Melanie Moat, my ex-girlfriend.

“Melanie, wait!” I call. She walks over to my bedside.

“I really hope you get well soon Ian.” She says timidly. Upon further inspection, her face is badly bruised, but she’s covered it with makeup.

“What’s wrong with your face?” I blurt out.

“Uh, don’t worry about that. I hurt myself, when I… Umm… Fell over. Yes.”

What’s wrong with her? She’s awfully quiet.

“MELANIE, I KNOW YOU’RE IN HERE!” a voice calls.

“My husband.” She mouths to me.

A man, twice as tall as Anthony and I barges in. “WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?” he asks her.

Melanie bursts into tears. “Visiting a friend.” She says.

“PFFT, THIS LOSER?” He says. “YOU’RE COMING WITH ME!” He then grabs onto Melanie’s arm and drags her out of the room.

I tear up. I’ve made everyone’s lives worse.

Melanie wouldn’t be abused like this if I didn’t break up with her. I should have just stayed with her, got married, and maybe even had children.

But I’m gay. It wouldn’t have been fair on me if I had stayed with her. Yes, I think she’s pretty. No, I’m not attracted to her at all.

I look over to Anthony, who is deeply engrossed in his homo-erotic book. I scrunch up my nose. As if he’s just reading that in a hospital?

“What’cha reading?” I say, trying to get Anthony’s attention.

He looks up. “You wouldn’t be interested.” He mutters.

Bullshit. Of course I would be interested in gay porn.

 Why is the hospital so bare? It takes me a while to figure it out. Ian!

“Where’s Ian?” I ask.

“Your mum offered to let him sleep at her house for a few days.” Anthony shrugs. “She really likes him.”

I think that would be best.