-Chapter 23

[I'm so sorry that you've been waiting so long for this part. I've been really lazy lately. Enjoy! ~Amy]

I come around the next afternoon. “YES!” I think. I can’t wait to see if the surgery is a success.

Anthony is waiting at my bedside with Ian.

“Hey babe.” Anthony greets me warmly, kissing me on the forehead. “I’ll go get the nurse.”

“Sure hun.” I say. I can finally talk to Ian again and explain what’s going on. He doesn’t seem to look too confused.

I try to move, but my back hurts. That’s natural though, I just had surgery to correct it.

“Ian, come here.” I gesture with a wave of my hand. He shyly heads over to my bedside. “Daddy likes boys. It’s called being gay.” He blurts out. Well, it looks like I don’t have to explain anything.

“Daddy and you had a talk huh?” I ask.

He nods. “Is it okay to like boys Ian? Do you like boys?”

“It’s okay to like boys.” I smile. “I like boys.”

“Okay.” He smiles and gets out a toy car from his pocket. He uses my legs as a road. “Broom, broom!” he says, making noises for the car. I smile at Ian. He looks up for one second and smiles back. “Do you love my daddy?”

“I sure do.” I reply, almost bursting into tears, happy tears, knowing that the only person I've ever loved now loves me back. “You can call me daddy too if you want.”

I remember when I became friends with Anthony back in the sixth grade. I felt something every time I was with him. It was sorta like butterflies. Like I was nervous every time I saw him.

Around that time, I was introduced to different sexualities.

For years, I tried to deny that I was gay, and that I didn't find Anthony attractive. So I got girlfriends and became someone I wasn't. I can't remember exactly when I came out of the closet, but my parents weren't surprised. Either was Anthony.

Ian snaps me back to reality. “Okay daddy.” He says, laughing. “That's awesome, I have two daddies!” He continues to run the car up and down my legs.

For a second, I swear that I feel the car running up and down my legs. Maybe I'm imagining things.

Anthony then returns, two nurses close behind. One has this hammer-like thing (I have no idea what it is, but it started to make me nervous) and something that looked like a needle.

“Now Mr. Hecox, we're going to do a couple of tests.” One of the nurses says, pulling off my bed sheet. It's so cold today. I shiver.

'Tell us if you can feel this.” the nurse says, pricking my foot with the needle. Anthony grasps my hand with anticipation. He holds his breath.

“OWW! STOP, THAT HURTS!” I shout, before realising what actually happened.

“It's a miracle.” Anthony says, breathing a sigh of relief. “Ian, your legs.”

“I know.” I choke, letting go of Anthony's hand and placing both of mine over my mouth. I start to cry. “Thank god. Thank god they work. Thank you Nurse.” I say between sobs. I move my legs to prove that they work again.

“Unbelievable!” The nurse gasps.

“You've beaten all the odds.” Adds the other. “Congratulations Mr. Hecox!”

I watch as they scribble down notes on a piece of paper, and walk out of the room.

“How long until I get out of this place Ant?” I ask him.

“Not long babe.” He smiles, sitting by my bedside. “Not long at all.”