Broken Melody; A Day In The Life Of A Dork. Chapter 13

Chapter 13: Memories That Last A Lifetime

"What?" I gasped, my eyes popping wider.

What did he just say?

Did he just say what I thought he said?

Was it April Fools or something? 

Was this just a joke?

No, no joke, his eyes were staring at me, waiting, his expression deadly serious.

He smiled meekly. "I said, will you be m-"

"I heard what you said, I just. . . ." I shook my head in disbelief.

Carter Jard, super hot jock, wanted me to be his girlfriend?

Had he gone blind?

"We've only known each other for a week." I said quietly, my lips in a tight line.

"We can take it slow, I promise." He held my hands tighter, and a shiver ran up my spine.

I breathed out a shaky breath and glanced around slowly. Memories blossomed in my mind and words chimed in my ear.

All I did was wait, listening to the chatter around me, not ready to take in reality.

My heart beat inside me, roaring faster and faster. Thump, thump, thump, thump.

"Stalling, are we?" he asked cheekily.

"Yes. No. I don't know!" I hissed, shaking my head from side to side. "I need to think." Unhooking from his grasp, I leaned against the nearest car and put my head in my hands.

Why are you hesitating, Lillian? I screamed at myself. Say yes!

There was a voice in my head telling me to think about this, to question this before I said anything, and there was another voice telling me I was stupid to think twice.

Which one was right?

"You can't deny what we have." Carter was leaning next to me. "Don't you feel it too?"

Of course I felt it; I felt it every time he was here, and every time he wasn't. Wasn't I always wishing for him to be near me? Didn't I just the other day wish for us kissing? Didn't I just today long for him being by my side?

Then why was I stalling?

I knew why, there was one question I had to ask him.

"But why?" I looked at him, standing next to me with perfection I could never master.

"Because, I care for you." He said, staring back with intent eyes. "Do I really have to give a reason?"

My breath hitched in my throat and my heart thumped loudly. The bubbling feeling in my chest was growing.

"Why me?" I whispered. The one question puzzling my mind.

"Because you're the most amazing girl I know. Yo-"

"I don't want any of the crap." I interrupted him, and he fell silent. Oh god, I really wasn't good at this stuff. "Carter, you're all of those things, you're good and loyal and amazing. I'm not any of those things, I'm broken, I'm broken beyond repair." I scowled at my feet, trying not to feel the scabs on my face or the scars on my stomach. "I'm not good enough for you."

"First of all, it wasn't crap, I don't talk crap." He smirked. "And Lily, you are good enough for me, too good." When he took my hands again, I could see the sincerity in his expression. "The only thing I can do is ask, to hope that you'll say yes."

Just one word, one syllable

But only two words were locked in my brain now, just two words were constantly running through me.

Why not?

He was everything I had hoped, everything I had dreamed for. He would protect me, he would care for me, he would be my world.

Why the hell did I even hesitate in the first place?

"Yes," I whispered, nodding slowly.

He smiled so wide it looked like he's cheeks would explode. "What was that?"

"Yes," I said it louder, no longer leaning on the car but facing him.

"Sorry, what was that? You'll have to speak up."

"Yes!" I screamed, not caring about the several heads that turned my way when I did. My voice rung with sheer joy. "Yes, I'll be your girlfriend!"

And I thought his smile before was big. Carter seemed to be lighting up the whole car-park, gleaming at me with a certain look in his eye. It was the happiest I had ever seen him, ever.

And then he embraced me, cradling my face in his hands before finally, pressing his lips to mine.

Oh my god.

I held him tightly, my hands tangled in his hair. I felt him, all of him, right here with me.

And he's all yours, I thought triumphantly.

The students around us started to clap and cheer, causing me to laugh against his lips. When Carter pulled away to look at me, I felt a shock go through me. In his eyes, tears lingered there, tears of happiness.

I saw everything I needed, right here in front of me.

Carter Jard, super hot jock.

Lillian Anderbeld, emo dork.

Totally and completely opposite.

Hey, but what can I say? Opposites attract, right?

Carter chuckled unexpectantly and held me tighter against him. I felt the warm, heavy patterns of his heartbeat on mine.

"Did I tell you you're amazing?" He said, brushing hair out of my eyes.

"I'm pretty sure you mentioned it." I replied a little breathlessly. Never before had I experienced this.

Never before had I been this happy. All my life had been filled with darkness, with sadness.

But then along came my light, my knight in shining armour.

Everything about him was good, noble, incredible. Everything about him screamed perfection.

And he was mine, all mine, mine, mine, mine, mine, mine.

Without warning, he kissed me again, his lips soft and urgent. Thunder rumbled above us, loud and deafening, telling us that soon rain was coming to greet us.

Kissing in the rain, I thought absentmindedly. Was my life just full of movie moments?

"Uh, excuse me. But can you stop hooking up on my car?"

We broke away sharply to look at a annoyed, disgruntled teenage boy holding his car keys, scowling at us, and laughed, both our voices light and buoyant.

Because I knew one thing, one thing for sure.

This was the best frigging day of my entire life

*******************************************