Broken Melody; A Day In The Life Of A Dork. Chapter 22

This is it, this is the chapter I've been waiting for. 
Please listen to Hallelujah Cover by Kate McGill by  >>>>> while reading the first bit (as I was while writing it), before the dance bit. It really makes you feel it. (AND SHE'S BRITISH! XD)

- S x

Chapter 22: "And you're just giving up? Letting go?" "Lillian, I'll never let you go." 

When I was a little girl, my Mother would always find me in her old wedding dress, walking down our own staircase with the train following heavily behind me. She would smile, gently, proudly, and tell me how beautiful I looked, tell me I looked even better in it than she did. And that's when I would feel it, feel beautiful, just the way I was, feel it inside. 

But tonight, for the first time in a long time. I felt it again. 

I felt beautiful. 

Ivy held my hands, her gaze was warm. But behind that, I knew the excitement was eating her up inside. I knew that I was lucky to have her here with me, to have her by my side, holding my hands now like she was. I knew that she was my bestfriend, through thick and thin. 

I smiled brightly. "You look amazing." And she really did. Her honeycomb blonde hair was pinned up in a bun with short, delicate, graceful curls falling from the center. Heavy make-up made her face so grand, her eyes a whole new beauty, and her lips as unique as a red rose pedal. And her dress, the one she finally had decided on, fit her snuggly. It was the colour of cream, maybe a pearly white, one sleeved and flowing down past her knees. Flowers were growing across the skirt and over the shoulder. She smiled back, her whole face lighting up along with it. 

"We both do," she agreed. "Now, are you ready for this?" 

My face dropped. I tried to redeem it, but my smile was shaky. "Not really." 

"I won't let you fall," she said, squeezing my hands even tighter. 

My nose wrinkled. "That sounds like the title of a corny song." 

Ivy rolled her eyes. "Way to kill the mood." 

I started laughing, clutching my stomach while I did. "I'm sorry, I'll be good  now." 

She laughed despite herself and shook her head. "Let's do this." 

With a deep breath, a few seconds with my eyes closed, I raised my hunched shoulders. "Right, let's do this." 

"Pipe up. We're going to a dance, not being thrown into a snake-pit." 

"True, a snake-pit would be better." 

"I can't win. I don't know what to say. You look great. Let's go," she turned towards the stairs, and I hit a round of deja vu hit me when I turned around with her. Those glistening stairs, ones that I had once marvelled at, seemed so big now, daunting. It was just a flight of stairs, sure, but to me, they were so much more. It was like, a new start to it all. And plus, it was a part of the dance tradition, wasn't it? Descending down a flight of stairs? With your date waiting, starstruck at the bottom? 

Ah, my date. The one thing that made me feel like there was a pound of butter in my stomach. What would Carter say when he saw me? Would he smile? Would he say anything? Would he be feeling as scared as I felt? 

Ivy started forward, and I followed her, reluctantly. My steps weren't as delicate as hers, as my feet felt like matchsticks, but it was a follow. My heart lurched when I hit the first step, and heard the first gasp.