Broken Melody; A Day In The Life Of A Dork. Chapter 17

Chapter 18: All In The Act Of Love

I laughed as Carter pulled me into his arms. The only light came from the street lamp above us, smiling down and making a perfect circle in the darkness. No wind rustled through the trees tonight, which was surprising. No inkling of coldness touched my skin, but maybe that was because the heat radiating from Carter made him like a portable heater. As he held me, we begun to dance, swaying gently side to side. There was no music to dance to, but we didn't need any. All we needed was each other. I timidly rested my head on his chest and sighed. His heart thrummed in my ear. My eyes begun to droop.

"It's late," he muttered and kissed my forehead.

I groaned, the sound muffled a bit by his shirt. "Don't you start with the 'it's getting late' thing again."

"But this time it actually is," I could tell he was pouting.

"Okay then, what's the time?" I asked.

"Uh, eleven something?"

"Whoa," where the hell had all my time gone? "That's why I'm so tired." I yawned.

"You've had a big day," Carter rubbed my shoulders. "I better get you hone."

I shook my head. "Not yet," I whispered, "I just want this moment."

Judging by the silence, I was sure he agreed. As we swayed, I begun to feel more and more tired, like heavy sand bags were dangeling from my shoulder.

"Today was fun," Carter mused, I could tell he was trying to start a conversation. Something escaped my lips, sounding kind of like a snort.

"Alright, maybe lunch wasn't," he spun me around gently, his feet lithe against the concrete. "But it was fun apart from that, right?"

Quite frankly, I didn't want to have a conversation. I just wanted to sleep. But I nodded anyway.

"I told you I'd take care of you," I could tell he was smiling, which made me smile in return.

I'll take care of you, he had said.

And he'd had, just like he said.

"Thank you," I muttered.

"No problem," he replied.

The silence dragged on, but it was a peaceful, happy silence. My tiredness was replaced by a warm, fuzzy feeling in my chest. Carter was a head taller than me, which made it perfect for us to dance. It would've been better if I could dance though.

"What you did today . . ." he said, his sentence left unfinished.

"What?" I mumbled, raising my head to look at his face. The light from the lamp shone across his face. His lips were pursed.

"It was the nicest thing I've ever seen anyone do." He eventually said, staring down at me.

I grinned so wide I could feel it tugging against my cheeks. "Don't get used to it, I'm not always that nice."

His laugh chimed through my ears. "But, seriously, why'd you do it?"

I sighed. It was a question I had been wondering about myself. "I think it's because I can relate to it. I've haven't had a say in my life for three years."

"Come on," Carter scoffed, and I frowned at him. "It's Eliza we're talking about. You don't just hate her one day and stick up for her the next."

I sighed again, this time a little frustrated. "I don't know, Carter, maybe I'm just sick of all the bad stuff in my life."