17

Kira

Getting an Uber to my old home from the venue, made me so jittery. How much has my Carly grown since I had last seen her? How many questions would they ask about my Calum? What would we do all day while Austin's at work? I moved out two years ago, a month before my sister realized she was pregnant. Mom stayed, and I was okay with that. They didn't want me to leave, but I was offered a management position back in LA at a record shop. They understood why I left.

My mother and I moved in with my sister after Dad left us. Well, me. They had been divorced since I was eleven. I didn't live with dad, but I visited him often in the weekends, until he met his wife and I disappeared because I really didn't like the woman. I tried, but I couldn't. She talked during movies. Although that wasn't the worst thing she did, that was the most annoying.  I would try to bond with her for dad's sake, and she never finished a sentence. When I would talk about me, she would change it to a topic about her.

The bitch tried to give my dog away, too. My Ace. That I bought from a trainer, with my own money. He was two thousand dollars. It's still expensive to keep up with him. I was pissed. I took the dog back from the lady, and made my dad pay her back. I should never have let Ace stay over there while I was away with my sister for a week.

Do I still hold a grudge over that? You bet. Did I still hate the woman for taking my dad away from me, slowly, slowly, slowly, and then completely? Yep. I hated the memory of my dad leaving me. Without a fucking word, he packed up and left.

I can admit though, I'm better without them. I don't need someone around me that talks during movies, or that turns my jokes into lessons. Dad did that too, after a while. He completely belittled me. When I realized that the reason my sister left, was because of him, I began to see why. He wasn't someone who beat me, he didn't do that. He did it to Tiffany, before I came along. She's still stewing about that. He just didn't care about me? He didn't seem to love me anymore.

Back to the present, I walked up to the front door. It felt so weird knocking. I didn't when I would stay here for a week, but I did when I first came. I even had a key. This was my home, even before my mom moved us. When we would just visit, it felt like home. This place was safe. This was a sanctuary.

My sister opened the door, Carly in tow. "Little sister! I missed you!" She hugged me, which was surprising; she never, ever hugged. We were in the same pool, there. She lead me inside, pulling me in, happily. I leaned down and wrapped my arms around my giggling niece. She kissed my cheek and ran her fingers through my hair. 

"Hi, Kira." She cooed at me. 

"Aunt Kira." Tiffany corrects. Kira blushes and corrected herself. "We've missed you around here. It's been what, five months?" 

"Sorry about that. I haven't had any time, lately." I was bashful. 

"Yeah, because you got a boyfriend and didn't have any time to see us anymore." Tiff put her hand on her hip.

"You know that's not true! I promise I'll bring him home with me for Carly's birthday and he can meet the family that matters most to me, and extended family. You'll love him. I couldn't come because I was a manager and didn't have anytime, but now I'm seasonal because I'll be touring, I think? It'll be an 'when you're home, you come, when you're gone, you don't, but since your boss is also a boss on the road, you go with the flow.'" I giggled. Tiffany just rolled her eyes, calling me a dork. 

It was then that the two cats came to greet me, as well. A pretty all gray one, and another on, mostly gray, but he had white fur too. The all gray one, being named Shadow. The other one is named Rocket, but he looks like Nicholas Cage, I shit you not, so I call him Nick behind the others backs. "Are we going to meet Calum tonight?"