Chapter Two

"My sister is an idiot." Asher said to hinself as he dropped his head backonto the grass. Closing his eyes he breathed slowly. In. Out. In. Out. He did this for quite a while just thinking about what his sister said. Then his mind wandered to thoughts of his other sister. Ansley was probably upstairs crying her eyes out. How could he be so stupid. It was the first day of summer and he was already ruining it all. Not just for Ansley but for everyone. If she wasn't happy, he wasn't happy. And when Asher wasn't happy he snapped at people and then the rest of the family would get upset because he was being mean.

I have to fix this. He thought before pushing himself up and jogging through the door.

"Asher, dinner is almost ready, go wash up." his mother yelled when he stopped at the top of the stairs. He had already passed the kitchen and the living room and he only found his dad watching tv in his underwear.

"Looking for something." Annabelle squelled poping up behind him. The 15 year old boy jumped into the air in fright and his little sister just giggled at him.

"Where is she?" he asked the young girl.

Annabelle began to walk around him and toy with the banister over the landing. She sarcasticlly remarked with a "Who?" to see just how angry she could get her older brother.

"Don't play dumb with me, Annie. Where is she?" He demanded through gritted teeth, picking his now terrified sister up under her arms and shaking her slightly. She screemed in fright and pointed towards the bathroom door that connected the twins bedrooms. Asher dropped the little girl and she hit the hard wood floor with a loud thump, she screached out a high pitched "owwy!" before bursting into tears.

"Ansley!" He cried, throwing open the bathroom door to find his sister curled up in the floor, tear stains on her cheeks. She simply turned away from him but Asher wouldn't let her get away that easily. He crouched next to her and began talking softly, with his hand firmly in her shoulder but Ansley wouldn't let him off that easily. She yanked her shoulder free of his grasp, stood up and stormed into her bedroom. Asher followed suit to see her throw herself on her bed and shake a bit so he guessed she was crying again.

"Look, Ans," He began, sitting on the edge of her bed and rubbing her back as he spoke. Ansley wanted to turn around and slap him but his touch soothed her aching body. "I'm really sorry, I shouldn't have so said those things. It's your disicion who you do or do not want to date and I shouldn't have interfeared. I just wanted to keep you safe. You are my little sister and it's my job to protect you but your not so little anymore. Its your choices and I respect that. I'm sorry and I won't do it again."

The twins sat in silence for quite a long time, listening to Annabelle's howls outside the door. Asher was just about to give up. Get up leave but Ansley whispered two words. "What was that? I didn't hear you?" He said. His sister dragged herself up limply and wiped her red cheeks and teary eyes. "I said", she began, "four minutes." Asher raised an eyebrow at her. "I'm only younger by four minutes." she giggled slightly. Asher grinned and wrapped his arms around her and she laughed as she did the same. The moment was sweet, until both of their parents kicked open the door holding a sobbing Annabelle and angry looks.

"Oh, crap."

In honor of The Fault In Our Stars which came out in theaters today.