Bridge of Khazad-dûm!

3019, January 15

The fellowship was surrounded by Orcs. What could they do? 'Fight!' They drew their weapons ready to face every single orc. Though, the orcs stepped back and they crowded away, as if they themselves were afraid. The company gazed at each other confused. The Orcs fled in all directions. Gimli laughed, thinking he had scared off the Orcs. The Fellowship was left alone. The weary wizard stared down the hall. Something was coming up behind them. What it was could not be seen. It was like a great shadow, in a dark form, maybe a man, or something scary.

It came to the edge of the fire and the light faded. The flames roared up to greet it and wreathed about it, and a black smoke swirled in the air.

"Ai! ai!" Wailed Legolas "A Balrog!"

Gimli stared with wide eyes, "Durin's Bane!" he cried, referring to the particular Balrog of Morgoth.

Ethir spotted the odd flames at the end of the hall. "Balrog? Durin's Bane!?" She repeated baffled.

Boromir noted, "What is this new devilry?"

Gandalf didn't respond for a moment. He closed his eyes, he opened his eyes. Next, he informed them "A Balrog is a demon of the ancient foe is beyond any of you. Run!"

The demon growled, still hidden around a corner of the vast hall, throwing fiery light on the pillars. Legolas's eyes showed fear. Ethir cast a fast glance. She never noted the Elf scared before. They ran through a small doorway.

Gandalf ordered them "Quickly!" He took a last glance behind him and followed.

The group of nine and the outcast entered a passageway and ran down a flight of steps. In the end, there was a missing segment, and Boromir nearly fell, but Legolas pulled him back. His torch whirled away into the vast underworld beneath.

"Gandalf!" Aragorn shouted.

"Lead them on, Aragorn! The bridge is near!" The wizard ordered this time seriously. He knew exactly how strong that demon was.

They paused across a wide space to a long bridge spanning the gap between a hall and a cliff face. Away behind them, the Balrog roared. Aragorn moved towards Gandalf, but Gandalf pushed Aragorn roughly away from him.

"Do as I say!" he said clearly.

Aragorn gazed at the wizard confused. He tried to answer, but Gandalf cut him off "Swords are no more use here!"

The Balrog roared again. The Fellowship descended a flight of massive stairs. Then there was a gap in the stairs. The elf without thinking leaped and landed on the other side. He called out Gandalf. He leaped after him. He helped the wizard. Ethir did the same, she didn't wait and jumped to the other side. Arrows whistled into the air. Legolas fired back. His arrow fired through the air and pierced the skull of an Orc. The Orc tumbled down from the rest of the company and leaped across the gap. Gimli had some issues with the jump. Legolas grabbed his beard and pulled him up.

"Not the beard!" he commented as he glared at Legolas.

Some of the stone steps crumbled and fell. Aragorn pushed Frodo to safety. The Balrog could be heard approaching from the other hall. "Hang on! Lean forward!" Aragorn suggested Frodo.

"Come on!" called out Legolas, he was waiting for them to jump before it would collapse. They leap across to safety. They ran down the stairs as the stone structures collapsed behind them.

"Over the bridge!" cried Gandalf, recalling his strength "Fly! This is a foe beyond any of you. I must hold the narrow way. Fly!"

The Fellowship fled. Gandalf did not follow, but turned, looking into the wall of fire. A great form of black shadows sprang through the flames, its eyes of white fire, great ash-black horns curling around a bull-like head. The Balrog reached the bridge. Gandalf stood in the middle of the span, leaning on the staff in his left hand, but in his other hand, Glamdring gleamed, cold and white.

"You cannot pass!" the wizard said "I am the servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you! Flame of Udûn!"

The Balrog made no answer. The fire in it seemed to die, but the darkness grew. It stepped forward slowly onto the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height. The demon stroked down on Gandalf, who parried the blow with his blade, shattering the Balrog's sword.

Gandalf clenched his teeth seriously "Go back to the Shadow! You shall not pass."

Gandalf drove his staff into the bridge, causing a bright flash of blue light to appear. Flaring its nostrils, the Balrog stepped forward onto the bridge. The bridge collapsed from under it as it moved towards Gandalf, and broke before the wizard's staff. The demon plunged backward into the chasm, still wielding its glowing whip. Gandalf, exhausted, leaned on his staff and watched the Balrog fall. He turned to follow the others.

A blinding sheet of white flame sprang up. The bridge cracked. Right at the Balrog's feet, it broke, and the stone upon which it stood crashed into the gulf, The flaming whip lashed up from the depths of the abyss and winds about Gandalf's ankle, dragging him over the edge.

Boromir shouted, "No, no!"

Frodo worried and called his name "Gandalf!"

The wizard grasps the bridge, looking into Frodo's eyes. He stopped struggling.

"Fly, you fools!" he cried and was gone.

Gandalf fell. He was gone. No more.

The fires went out, and blank darkness fell. The Company stood rooted with horror staring into the pit. Even as Aragorn and Boromir came flying back, the rest of the bridge cracked and fell. With a cry Aragorn roused them.

"Come! I will lead you now!" he called "We must obey his last command. Follow me!"

Ethir blinked, not sure what had just happened. Gandalf was gone. How was that possible?

There was a guard of orcs crouching in the shadows behind the great door posted towering on either side, but the gates were shattered and cast down. Boromir grabbed and held off Frodo. Frodo was crying not wanting to leave Gandalf behind. Boromir started to live up a flight of stairs. Ethir was frozen too. She was lost. Mostly confused, as she couldn't do anything, just stare at Gandalf as he fell. Legolas grabbed and pushed her, signing her to move on.

For a moment Aragorn did not move, but then Orc arrows started whistling by once again, shooting at the companions. Dodging them, he turned and followed the others up the stairs. Out of the Gates, they ran and sprang down the huge and age-worn steps, the threshold of Moria. Thus, at last, they came beyond hope under the sky and felt the wind on their faces. The darkness of Moria was gone, leaving a sorrowful feeling. They looked back. Dark yawned the archway of the Gates under the mountain shadow. A thin black smoke trailed out. Moria has fainted. And Gandalf was no more.

The Fellowship exited Moria. Boromir tried to restrain Gimli as the Dwarf vented out his rage and sorrow. Tumble out of the Great Eastern Gate onto a grassy sunlit hillside. Sam, Merry, and Pippin fell slowly to the ground, Sobbing. Ethir didn't react at all. Her eyes were frozen. Like her brain was processing what had happened to Gandalf. No sorrow or sadness was shown in her face. Legolas wore a look of shock and disbelief; the immortal elf's eyes showed puzzlement.

" I Fear, we cannot stay here longer," said Aragorn. He looked towards the mountains and held up his sword. "Farewell, Gandalf!" he cried." Next, he turned to Legolas and Gimli. "Legolas, get them up!"

Boromir responded, "Give them a moment, for pity's sake!"

Aragon sighted "By nightfall these hills will be swarming with Orcs! We must reach the woods of Lothlórien. Come, Boromir, Legolas, Gimli, get them up."

Frodo let out a last cry. Finally, the group of eight and the outcast were up and moving. Soon the crossed Chortling, icy blue water. The Fellowship jogged across a grassy field, halting under the leaves of a forest of tall trees.

It seemed they had reached Lothlórien...

((Next Chapter: 13))

[last edit 2021/04/17]