Thranduil & Raeves

! J.R.R. Tolkien never mentioned Legolas' mother. In 'the Hobbit', we find out a few things about her. Yet, I believe before we went on with our story. Even before, Thranduil appears, we should share a chapter devoted to Legola's Parents. Enjoy!

Disclaimers: I don't own any of the characters, places, names, etc (only the OC). It all belongs to J.R.R. Tolkien and Peter Jackson.

"But there was in Thranduil's heart a still deeper shadow. He had seen the horror of Mordor and could not forget it. If ever he looked south its memory dimmed the light of the Sun, and though he knew that it was now broken and deserted and under the vigilance of the Kings of Men, fear spoke in his heart that it was not conquered forever; it would arise again." J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "The History of Galadriel and Celeborn", "Appendix B: The Sindarin Princes of the Silvan Elves"

Thranduil, the only son of Oropher, was a Sindarin Elf of Doriath who became the King of the Silvan Elves of Greenwood (known as Mirkwood) after his father was slain. As the only son of Oropher, he was cold and self-centered. A son of King's. His emotions were always hidden behind his cruel and cold act. The Elvenking was deadly, yet as an elf he was wise. He was distrustful of strangers for the most part, although he had business dealings with the men of Lake-town. He was mostly unconcerned with the affairs of the world beyond Mirkwood unless a common enemy was shared or for trade. He also had his halls delved underground, fashioned partly in memory of the mighty, but long-lost, Menegroth of Doriath. In north-eastern Mirkwood, they were near the Forest River behind great, stone gates. His realm was also protected by the Enchanted River, which could cause one to sleep and dream deeply, whilst the Elvenking's Halls served as a fortress.

Yet, The ElvenKing was not only bitterly cold and cruel. His true self was only revealed to the people he held dear. He cared about his people and his family. He had seen darkness back in Mordor. His heart had fallen into darkness and grief. Yet, he still was a proud King. There were times he was also younger, in love and happy. Everything started before the War of the Last Alliance. When Thranduil lived still in Doriath with his father. One day his path crossed with a Silvan Elf. Her hair was different darker, not blond as most Silvan Elves would be. Her eyes were blue-gray, like Legolas. Even for a female Elf, she was taller and slender. She was fair and beautiful. And her name was Raeves. Thranduil had fallen in love since the first time he saw her. There were plenty of Elves that were bewitched by her beauty and character.

Raeves was nothing like the ElvenKing. She was sweet and kind, she used to be humble and wise. Exactly the opposite of Thranduil. The only thing they shared was that they were brave. Brave enough, to fall in love with each other. They were such an enchanting combination.

It took them years to reveal their likeness to each other. Thranduil tried his best not to fall in love with a Silvan Elf. Oropher would never accept his only son to be bonded with a simple Silvan Elf. As for Raeves, she could never reveal her true feelings at Thranduil, since she knew Oropher's opinion about her kin. Even after they both confessed their feelings, their love for each other remained a secret. They wished they could love each other freely. But at the time being, they could not.

Centuries passed. Oropher became the King of the Silvan Elves of Greenwood the Great. His opinion about the Silvan elves had changed with the years. Yet, Thranduil still kept his love for Raeves as an untold secret. Soon, the last alliance was formed. And war was upon them. Those were dark times, no one talked about love. In the Battle of Dagorlad, Oropher was slain. And, Thranduil, lost his father and succeeded to the throne. He became King of the Silvan Elves of Mirkwood in the Woodland Realm.

Raeves, who around those times stood braver than the ElvenKing. Decided and travel to Greenwood. How could she stay away, when grief and sorrow surrounded Thranduil? Without any reason, she rode to Greenwood. It was her choice. A choice her parents respected. Upon her arrival, she found a very different Thranduil. Grief rose his darkness and cruelness. Yet, Raeves did not linger or despair. She saw through his grief and remained close to him.