The shapeless shadow of the East

She found the darkness strange. This was a blackness that she could not recall seeing before. Ethir tilted her head upon the sky, millions of bright stars dotted on the black canvas of the night, yet dark was the night. Gazing at the same spot for over an hour, since she and Legolas left his chamber. Neither Ethir nor him talked about what had occurred hours earlier. The memory was quite unbelievable, shocking really. Both of their minds were sent reeling, unable to comprehend or process the images it was being taught. They put that memory away. It was safe for both of them.

It was the promise in the darkness, that witnessed their kiss. A sense of warmth springing from the cold, a drunk memory; it should be called. It was a vast gratitude for his warmth. As it could seep into her very being comforted her like no one ever had. Like no one ever could. His arms around her could never be long enough. Yet, her blackness was light and fire in her gutter. It burned away the drabness of the day, the warmth. Until her freezing darkness was already back.

"You cannot sleep, Lassy!?" Gimli appeared next to Ethir. The dwarf looked outside the night sky. The stars were the promise of life in the darkness, a sense of warmth springing from the cold.

Ethir cast a glance towards the Dwarf "Tonight! It's quite unusual! An eerie feeling surrounds me! Gimli! Like something will happen!" she announced and turned away.

"I for myself! Found it haunted!" agreed the Dwarf.

Aragorn held his pipe as he exited the Golden Hall. An hour earlier Legolas had crossed the gate of the Golden Hall. He was standing outside, gazing at the stars. He also spotted something different. An eerie darkness would never escape his side. The pitch-black curtain draped over the sky, and the twisted, warped shapes that the stars made against the blackness. The night had changed it. The speckles, that twirled and danced along in his heart and mind (in various patterns), were now gone.

The snuggles were a simple enough gesture, an affection, perhaps the fragile beginnings of love. The one that was held in his arms was soft, yet strong. The feel of her body so close to his soothed him more than he had expected. Yet, he pulled away, his mind was dragged and drawn into the darkness. There was only one desire, one wish. It would be for the best to be forgotten and gone. His thoughts were called off, as the ranger approached Legolas. The pair of friends stared at Mordor.

"The stars are veiled. Something stirs in the East. A sleepless malice. The Eye of the enemy is moving." Legolas noted. He was wearing his coat with the hoodie. He needed some fresh air. He needed to be far from Ethir.

"He is here!" suddenly said Legolas loudly as he turned and gazed towards the Golden Hall.

Aragorn and Legolas dashed off through the entrance of the Golden Hall where the noise could be heard. Pippin, stuck to the burning orb, as he had grabbed the Palantír from Gandalf. Aragorn stepped in and pulled the Palantír from Pippin as he fell to his knees, in shock. The Palantír slipped from Aragorn's hands and rolled across the floor. Gandalf (who had awoken) threw a cloth over it.

"Fool of a Took!" The wizard said as he tended to a terrified Pippin "Look at me."

"Gandalf! Forgive me!" mumbled the hobbit and then looked away.

"Look at me. What did you see?" demanded Gandalf, really serious what his eyes had seen.

"A tree... there was a white tree in a courtyard of stone... it was dead. The city was burning." Pippin responded with a scary look on his face.

"The courtyard of Minas Tirith!" said Aragorn.

"I saw... I saw Him! I could hear His voice in my head!" Pippin confessed as his eyes seemed lost.