26. darrin

I knew what Megan and Cris were doing. Three months ago, he’d brought Cori here for the first time and they’d snuck up to his room and done just what he was doing to Megan right now. 

     I wasn’t sure if I should tell anybody. 

     Sasha came over half an hour later and we sat quietly on the couch watching movies together, but then she got bored and asked to watch Spring Breakers, and I said it was up in my Dad’s room, because it was rated R. We ran upstairs to grab it, passing Cris’s room. 

     The air was deadly silent, and then there was a subdued giggle and the obvious sound of kissing. 

     Sasha stopped. 

     I looked at her. ‘‘What?’’ 

     Her eyes were bright, her jawline set. She looked like a statue waiting to crumble. 

     ‘‘Who’s in Cris’s bedroom?’’ she asked ominously. 

     I knew. Of course I knew. 

     I thought of that time when I had stood with Megan, watching Cris and Cori kiss in each other’s arms, and I remembered her watching them. I remembered how she’d been tortured by my girlfriend, who could never get her nose out of other people’s business, and how she wanted to be loved and how, finally, she was here with Cris, kissing him, knowing him, wanting him. 

     I thought, just for once, I would save some girl from Sasha’s clutches. 

     I said, ‘’I don’t know.’’