51. megan

New Denver was this tiny town on the edge of Slocan Lake, a couple miles north of Silverton, and it’s population was 560. Cori’s grandparents’ house was huge; it sat on the edge of the lake, overlooking the valley and most of the town, and it had six bedrooms, a private beach, and a basketball court, as well as a small docking area for boats. 

     Cori’s grandparents—Irene and Peter—were young at heart and incredibly enthusiastic that four teenagers were coming to spend the weekend. However, they insisted that we didn’t sleep alone. 

     ‘‘There have been break-ins,’’ Irene said, her hair milky and thin, ‘‘and it’s best you sleep with one other person in the room. You’re all fourteen, though, so I’m sure you’ll behave together.’’

     Shain and Erick glanced nervously at each other. During the drive, they’d constantly caught each other’s eye, laughed at private jokes, and rapped competitively, though Erick let Shain win most of the time. I wasn’t Cupid, but I could definitely tell that there was some love in the air. 

     ‘‘We’ll all sleep in the same room,’’ said Cori. ‘’It won’t be as awkward. We’ll be extra safe, Grandma.’’ 

     After unpacking in the largest guest room and setting up beds—Cori and I were on the bunk bed, and Shain and Erick were inches away from each other on the floor, hugging the ground on thin mattresses—Cori took us out in the town. It was just past suppertime, so she said that she’d take us to the edge of town where they had bonfires and parties, accompanied by some friends. 

     We were leaving Timmy’s after buying some coffees (smoothie for Shain) when a huge Ram truck stopped in front of us, splattered with mud and scraped rather aggressively along the driver’s door. 

     The window rolled down, and the guy driving it said, ‘‘You and your friends need a ride, Cori?’’ 

     ‘‘Jake!’’ she said, running up as the guy stepped out of his truck and hugging him briefly. I remembered that she was still with Cody, which was why the guy looked kind of disappointed as she pulled away quickly and turned to us. 

     ‘‘Guys, this is Jake Arden,’’ she said. ‘‘He’s a family friend. Jake, this is Megan, Shain, and Erick. Also friends.’’ 

     ‘‘Hi.’’ Jake raised a hand. He was tall and lean with tight curls of yellow hair, dressed in a white button-down and khakis. His eyes were pale blue, almost gray like Shain’s. ‘‘Welcome to New Denver,’’ he said in a rich, flirtatious voice. ‘‘You guys headed for the rocks? I’ll give you a ride.’’

     ‘‘Thanks, Jake,’’ said Cori. 

     We climbed into his Ram and sped off through the town, arriving at this huge area of jagged rocks and cliffs on the edge of the lake. One of the fires was lit, and four kids about our age or older were sitting around it, laughing and messing around.

     ‘’My peeps,’’ Jake said as we got out of his truck. ‘‘Hey, guys! Remember Cori?’’

     The four kids ran over to us, and I got a brief look at them: the two guys were broadly muscled, though one of them had chocolate skin and was shorter than me, and the other was taller than Jake. The girls were memorable from their hair: one of them had white-blond locks that tumbled down to her waist, and the other’s hair was long and orange. Not crimson red like the Domnall family, but orange, like fire. 

     The tallest guy grinned. He had dark close-cropped hair that curled at the front and a thin stubble. His eyes were liquid chocolate. ‘‘Hey, Cori. Who’re your friends?’’ he asked, with an accent that I couldn’t place too well.