43. cori

At lunch, I stopped by the Kikino Room to hand Jinx some papers from Mrs. Timbers, and I saw Megan, Shain, and Erick sitting on one of the leather couches. Megan’s eyes were wet; she leaned into Erick’s shoulder, and Erick looked extremely surprised and pleased. Shain, rubbing Megan’s arm, frowned slightly with jealousy. 

     After chatting half-heartedly with Jinx, I walked over and knelt in front of Megan. 

     She looked at me, her eyes the color of rain. 

     I whispered, ‘’He broke your heart, too, didn’t he?’’

     ‘‘Yes.’’ She squeezed her eyes shut again and buried her head deeper into Erick’s shoulder. 

     In that moment, I forgave Megan for everything she’d done: stealing Cris, fighting me, giving me incredible jealousy and impatience. Because I knew what she was feeling. I knew why she was experiencing this. 

     ‘‘That goat,’’ I hissed. ‘‘Niomi. She’s the cause of this, Megan. She’s why he left you and me. She’s a freaking man-stealer.’’

     Megan looked up at me, her face pink, and said, ‘‘I’m not in the mood for revenge, Cori.’’

     ‘’I didn’t say revenge. I’m telling you that I’m sorry. I know how this feels. I know how to get over it.’’

     Nobody said anything for a while. Megan’s crying was reduced, and Erick had an arm around her, and Shain leaned on the couch and stared at Erick’s fingers like she wished she could trade spots with Megan, and I thought of Cris and Niomi and Megan. 

     I’m sorry.

     ‘‘Megan,’’ I said, and I reached out my hand to her, and she took it.