47. megan

I was ruined. I was this once-beautiful building, this indestructible giant of invincibility, and then one boy made me collapse, this one boy who tore out my heart and let me fall, and now his ex, the girl who was no longer my enemy, was trying to help me. 

     ‘‘Megan, eat,’’ Cori said. ‘‘You’re going to starve yourself.’’

     ‘‘Noooo,’’ I groaned. ‘‘Piss off.’’ 

     ‘’I will not piss off. I want you to get better for our trip.’’

     I frowned into my pillow. ‘‘What trip?’’

     ‘‘Ever been to New Denver?’’ 

     ‘’No. Why?’’

     ‘‘Because I’m going to see my grandparents and I need a friend to come with me.’’ I turned to look at her, and she looked very serious. ‘’I think we need some quality time.’’ 

     I groaned. ‘‘New Denver. Five hours away.’’

     ‘‘Four and a half.’’

     ‘‘What is so special about New Denver?’’

     Cori shrugged. ‘‘It’s warm. It’s a small town. There are these campfires that people put on every night, like small parties. It’s by a lake. We can stop in Revelstoke and get new bikinis. There are some really cute guys there. And you can meet my peeps.’’

     I sat up and hugged a pillow to my chest. ‘‘Cori, I’m really not in the mood to start another relationship. You should know how this feels.’’

     ‘’I do, girl, I do. I’m sorry.’’ She hesitated, trying to feed me again, and I refused. ‘‘This will help, though. Social interaction. It. Helps.’’ 

     I said nothing. 

     ‘’My parents also want to take me camping. It’s either waking up in a goddamn tent in the rain at five a.m., or an actual bed with an actual roof and actual food at my grandparents’. What is your choice, Megan?’’

     ‘‘Can’t I just stay home?’’

     ‘’No. You need rehabilitation.’’

     God. I gave in. ‘‘Fine! Take me to New Denver. Tell me how ridiculous I look in a random bikini, feed me donuts from Timmy’s, introduce me to cute boys. But let me deal with my stress, and I’ll try to be happy all weekend.’’

     Cori grinned like a five-year-old. ‘‘Okay. Perfect. Now let’s get you packed up, ‘cause we’re leaving tomorrow.’’