48. erick

Standing here on Megan’s doorstep, a handful of frail roses in my hand, my heart racing down a lonely road, I felt completely underdressed. And then completely naked once a girl with long dark hair answered the door. 

     ‘’Hi,’’ I said. ‘‘I’m—I’m looking for Megan.’’

     ‘‘And I’m looking for my dog,’’ she replied. ‘‘Guess we’re both in a bit of a twist, aren’t we?’’

     I frowned. The girl seemed vaguely modernized with a hint of old-fashioned sophistication. Her eyes were the same color as Megan’s. 

     The girl walked past me like I wasn’t there, yelling, ‘‘Pico!’’ and I realized that it was probably the dog’s name. She walked gracefully, like Megan did, her hips swaying like Megan’s and God, I was staring, and I mentally called myself a pervert.

     I cleared my throat awkwardly. ‘’Um. Is Megan here?’’

     ‘‘Yes. Have you seen a black Patterdale Terrier around?’’

     ‘’No. I did hear some barking in the trees, though.’’ I pointed to my left. ‘‘Over there.’’ 

     The girl—I really needed to know what her name was—nodded and went to the trees on my left. I stood there, wearing jeans and white Converse and a green polo shirt that had a chocolate stain on it but I’d worn it anyway, and I felt useless. This girl, this older  and slightly more intimidating replica of Megan, had gotten my efforts to find her dog. Now what? 

     I recognized the sound of a bike, and I turned to watch as Shain pedaled up to the yard and then dropped her bike, rushing over to me. She was wearing an overlarge hoody that made her look tomboyish and cute at the same time, kind of. 

     ‘‘Erick!’’ she said, smiling, running up and touching my arm, and shivers rolled down my spine. It wasn’t that I didn’t like Shain. She was awesome. She was different than everyone else, and not just with her tomboy attitude. She was encouraging, loyal, funny, and understanding. Somehow, I felt more relaxed when she was around. 

     ‘’Hi,’’ I said. 

     ‘‘Are you here to see Megan?’’ Shain asked, glancing at the roses crushed between my fingers. ‘’I will take you to her. Hey, Harper!’’

     The older replica of Megan looked back, carrying a charcoal puppy in her arms, and waved. Harper. That was her name. And she was . . . Megan’s sister?

     Shain took me inside and up to Megan’s bedroom, which was green and covered in One Direction posters, which seemed weird to me, because I didn’t figure she was a 1D fangirl. 

     I stared at her. ‘‘You like One Direction?’’

     ‘‘Good morning to you, too, Erick. And no, not anymore.’’ She grinned at me. ‘‘I’m just too lazy to take them down.’’ 

     ‘‘And because Niall is so cute!’’ Shain added in a weird version of Megan’s voice. 

     Megan frowned. ‘‘Shut up, Shain. I am packing.’’

     ‘‘Why are you packing?’’

     ‘‘Because Cori’s coming in five seconds to take me to New Denver, and I slept in, and I really don’t have time to chat. Erick, are those roses?’’

     I looked down. ‘’Um. Yeah. For you. Like . . . a ‘get better’ thing for broken hearts?’’

     Megan took the roses, and looked at Shain, like she was asking for permission to do something. Shain raised her eyebrows. 

     ‘‘Thanks, Erick,’’ Megan said, ‘‘that’s really sweet.’’ There was something awkward about the conversation. 

     Suddenly Cori burst through the door. ‘‘Megan Megan Megan Megan come on, let’s goooo! We’re going to freaking New Denver!’’

     Shain said, ‘‘You’re in a good mood, Cori.’’

     ‘‘Yes, I am, Shain. My parents decided that my sisters are not coming with us! I have the extra leg room of two seats. It is fantabulous.’’ 

     Megan frowned. ‘‘Two extra seats . . . Cori, can Shain and Erick come?’’

     My heart skipped a beat; I was used to being the third wheel, or the eleventh wheel, or whatever, but I was always invisible. Nobody invited me to parties or movies (unless it was Ben or Jacob, but they didn’t count). Megan was asking me to come to an overnight weekend party in New Denver? 

      Cori shrugged. ‘‘Yeah, sure, if it’s cool with your parents. My grandparents’ house is freaking huge, so we’ll have plenty of space. Come, Shain and Erick, and join us in this arduous journey!’’

     I asked, ‘‘What does arduous mean?’’

     ‘’It means that it involves difficult or strenuous work. In other words, it’s just like running a mile in P.E.’’