Countermeasures

A new war was on the horizon. It became all to obvious when demigods began disappearing from Camp Half-Blood. Upon stepping outside of the barrier, the godly children had been swallowed by shadows.

But there was one those writhing shadows wouldn't take.

"Perseus freaking Jackson!" Annabeth yelled at her boyfriend. Her heart pounded in her chest. Hot tears pricked behind her eyes. "How dare you scare me like that!" She approached the legendary demigod, fists clenched at her sides.

"Annabeth I-"

"Don't. Just, don't do that again. I can't loose you again. I won't. We don't even know where those demigods end up." Annabeth squeezed her eyes shut, tears now falling.

All the pent up stress of the last few weeks was finally getting to her. The cracks in her composure became more obvious as things escalated.

"Did you expect me to leave him there?" Percy demanded. He knew Annabeth was stressed and scared. Everyone was. He laid the unconscious child of Hephaestus on the grass against Thalia's Pine.

Annabeth knew it was selfish, but she wouldn't let this happen to him too.

Harley, the eccentric eight year old resident of Cabin Nine had ventured beyond the boarders. The moment Harley was outside the barrier, shadows began twisting up the boy's legs. He'd screamed and thrashed. Percy had heard him and without thinking out what may happen to himself, ran and pulled Harley back in to safety.

But the odd thing was what happened when Percy left. The shadows had hissed like a nest of snakes and retreated, allowing Percy to take Harley.

"It didn't take me, Annabeth. It didn't want me." Percy insisted, standing up.

"Nonsense. You were lucky." A defiant gleam appeared in Percy's eyes. Oh no.

Percy promptly turned and began marching back towards the boarder.

"Percy stop!" Annabeth cried, heart leaping into her throat. She wasn't quick enough.

But Percy was right. No shadows coated the ground. Nothing jumped out to take him. The ground was normal. It stayed normal.

He came back in. Annabeth tackled him into a hug and mumbled into his chest, "I wish you would stop scaring me like that."

"Annabeth don't you see? If Chiron could post me as a guard here or something, then I could stop others from trying to leave." Percy insisted, wrapping his arms around his girlfriend and pulling her impossibly closer. He rested his head on her long blonde curls and sighed contentedly. The smell of her shampoo wafted up to his nose.

"Oh Seaweed Brain. Not even you can stay awake for weeks on end. You can't stay and watch forever." Annabeth pointed out. She understood his need to help, but sometimes there were things you couldn't do on your own.

On your own.

Other campers...

Annabeth had an idea. "Percy, what if we organised a sort of patrol team? We could set up one of my mini condos by the border, and when you needed a break you could rest there so you aren't to far away, and while you rest, somebody could take over watch and warn you if anything happens!" Annabeth gasped to regain her breath.

"You lost me somewhere but, Wise Girl, that sounds great! Let's go ask Chiron." Grinning brightly, Percy picked up Harley and tugged Annabeth in the direction of the Big House.

Chiron approved. He didn't take much convincing. Everyone's strings of patience were beginning to fray. If these two demigods had a way of keeping people safe, and were willing to execute it themselves then by all means. Why should he stop them?

While Annabeth delivered Harley to the Apollo Cabin, Percy and Chiron focused on moving a few basic needs into one of the condos. The son of Poseidon was determined not to leave his role at all unless he was forced to. Then with the help of Blackjack, the three of them pushed the condo to the edge of the border at the top of Camp Half-Blood.

Due to the space problem at Camp Half-Blood, Annabeth had taken it upon herself to solve the idea. She made mobile condos as cabins for all the minor gods and goddesses. They were customisable too.

Annabeth came racing up the hill, Athena Cabin Deputy Councillor in tow.

"Percy! Malcom has offered to be apart of the patrol group." She said breathlessly. Percy grinned broadly.

"Thanks Malcom." Chiron had said no Head Councillors were allowed to be apart of the patrol group, for they had their own cabins to take care of.

"I also have offers from Valentina, daughter of Aphrodite, Nyssa, daughter of Hephaestus, Ellis, son of Ares, Butch, son of Iris and the Nike twins."

"Gods, you assembled that quickly." Percy remarked, but he wasn't overly surprised. This was Annabeth. "However I don't think we'll need all of them." He frowned.

"Mhmm. Me either. I don't think the Nike twins would be a good idea. You'd spend more time trying to keep them from fighting than anything else. Valentina probably just wants to scope out what the enemy wears. And you." Annabeth grumbled the last part under her breath. Everybody was aware of the Aphrodite and their constantly reoccurring obsession. Well, almost everybody anyway.

"But the other three could be useful. As a son of Ares, Ellis could be good for fighting and restraint. Malcom here can plan out some strategies and Nyssa would be good for anything we need built. Butch could be used for faster IM'ing." Annabeth mused.

"I think we'll need another condo then. Blackjack?" Chiron called as he trotted back down the hill. The black pegasus followed soon after being summoned.

"I'll go get the others. Let's hope this works." And stay safe, Percy. Annabeth looked at him one last time over her shoulder. He was already directing things. She hated the fact she couldn't stay.

~~~~

If you want more information on the condos thing, you'll have to read the welcome to Camp Half-Blood thing. (Because Apollo did a terrible job).

Peace

BTSWD.