The Gift

Holly had but a few minutes until they were supposed to meet Tsukauchi when she heard footsteps stop outside her door. The female demigod thought that perhaps it was Percy and held her breath, waiting for the hero to come bursting in saying he knew exactly what she'd done and now she was going to pay for it. But just as quickly as they'd come, despite a moment of silence, they departed.

Holly waited a few moments before daring to open the door. She frowned.

Though the corridor was empty, a pile of miscellaneous objects lay at the doorway. Holly pulled them inside. They were clearly meant for her and nobody else would deliver them  other than Percy. She appreciated his choice to leave her be for now, giving her space. Holly didn't think she could face the older demigod right now.

The gift was simple. The standard demigod ambrosia and nectar alongside an unfamiliar book, blade and bangle. First, Holly stashed the healing goods in a private draw where nobody else would find it. She didn't know how tolerant people here were of the godly food, nor did she wish to find out. Then she examined the bangle. It seemed simple enough. It was a striking green colour, and she pulled it over her hand and let it dangle from her wrist. There had to be a point to it.

As Holly thought about its purpose, she twisted it absentmindedly, getting a heart attack when after two full clockwise twists it transformed into a Greek shield. Holly's eyes were wide as she took it in. It wasn't too heavy, in fact, it was scarily well balanced for her using. It must have been crafted with a fine talent and the blazing sign of victory gleamed on the front of the shield for all to see. It naturally bound to her arm, two metal circlets surrounding her arm. Her initials were engraved on the shield circlets. An H on one and a V in the other. It took Holly a further three minutes to figure out how to revert the shield to a bangle.

Next was the blade, something that also was claimed by her initials. It wasn't the usual blade, more like a mini fencing sword. Just a lot sharper and thus far more deadly. It was thicker than that sort of blade as well, circular and the tip sharpened to a fine point, made for piercing rather than slashing. It meant she would still have to get into close quarters, but not too close. It was the perfect weapon for stabbing at the thin parts in armour or at the soft parts of flesh. And it would still counter, if faced against another blade it had a high chance of deflecting, being circular meant it was harder for another weapon to get a grip on it.

Holly grinned.

Now this could do some damage.

And finally she looked at the book.

Inside were pictures. Just seemingly random moments from her time at Camp. But each time was precious to her and Holly could remember them as clear as day. Although there was no sound in the moving pictures, Holly could recite most time word for word.

There was the time her and Laurel had their first battle climbing to to the top of the trees. Their competitions on the lava wall. Songs around the campfire and nights spent comforting one another. There was the time they argued over who got to go first in the Weapons Shed followed by their first lesson in using their chosen objects. The time Holly had gotten badly hurt and had to stay the night in the infirmary so Laurel had stayed up with her.

There were so many memories contained in one magical book. Things she'd forgotten and things she remembered.

But then Holly remembered where she was and what could be happening to Laurel. What she'd agreed to do and frightened she was of everything around her.

Holly felt like she was falling again. Endlessly. Spiralling out of control. There was nothing in this world that she was familiar with, that she could control, that she could understand or relate to. She was utterly alone and lost.

What would she do if Percy found out about what she'd done? The deal she'd made? Maybe she could fix it, change things, change herself.

But did one really change? Or did they merely add another layer of paint to their mask and call it change. Isn't that all change was?

Holly didn't know.

But one thing she did know, was that she was scared. Scared of what was to come.

What would happen in the future?

Holly had no idea.

~~~~

IMPORTANT: I won't be updating for the next few weeks because where I am, I have exams coming up over the span of the next two weeks, which requires me to dedicate my time to studying, and I'd rather pass than fail.

I hope you all can understand. Sorry this one is short and last minute and really random. Things will get back into it next chapter.

Peace,

BTSWD
Borntosingwithdrama