9 - Meetings in the woods

Jay wiped the sweat off her brow and sighed in relief. She was glad that the campers and the pegasus were alright. However, she felt someone's eyes on her. She turned her head in that direction, but alas, saw only the woods.

The girl stuck her hands in her pockets and walked towards her cabin, the attention starting to make her uncomfortable.

There, she tried her best to read and learn as much as she could about Greek Mythology and demigods. Thanks to some generous Athena campers, she had acquired some pretty informative material.

She did this for a while, until she heard the soft whisp of a paper being slid on hardwood. The girl turned her head to see a piece of paper under her door. Tilting her head, Jay got up to investigate. She bent down and picked it up in her hands, her green eyes shifting back and forth as she read.

"Meet me in the woods by the strawberry fields at 10 o'clock. Don't bring anyone."
- l. c

Jay tilted her head and read the note over and over again.

Luke wants to meet me in the woods? At night?

She began to feel nervous, but excited, wondering what the young man was planning.

Maybe more sword training? I need to work on it! Maybe he'll help me!

She was eager to learn more about defending herself. For her whole life she has been the victim, but now she could whoop some butt.

Later that night, Jay snuck out of her cabin.

She had heard about the harpies that attacked naughty demigods who were in camp past their curfew.

With her heart racing, she snuck about in the darkness, hiding behind things as she went, until finally she reached the woods beyond the strawberry fields.

"Luke?" she called out, wondering in the dark woods.

Suddenly, she heard a stick crack, and she whirled around.

There stood the tall stature of Luke Castellan. He was wearing his camp shirt under a jacket, jeans and sneakers. He also had a bag with him.

"Did anyone follow you?" he asked.

Jay shook her head.

"Why do you want to see me?" she asked.

Luke bit his lip before covering her head with a sack in one swift movement.

Jay screamed, and felt his arms wrap around her and her feet leave the ground. (He has flying shoes)

She felt wind lap against her skin, and she was so close to his chest that she heard his heartbeat, strong and fast.

She guessed that they were in the air somehow, so she stopped struggling in fear of falling. She clung to him tightly.

Finally, a few moments later her feet were in the ground again. She could hear waves lapping.

The sack was pulled off her head and Luke stood in front of her.

Behind him, were monsters of all shapes and sizes.

They were on a large yacht, far out in the water.

Luke smirked slightly at the wonder and shock in Jay's eyes.

"I know it's a lot to take in.." he boasted "But I'll explain."

Jay gulped and looked at the monsters standing behind her friend. Their eyes were focused on her, and it made her nervous.

"They won't hurt you. But Jay, I have some questions" he stepped forward.

Jay looked at him cautiously, still confused on why he basically kidnapped her, but she felt deep down that she could trust Luke. After all, she always tried to see the good in people.

"Have you ever met your dad?" he asked.

Jay was surprised by the personal question.

"No..why..?" she answered.

Luke paced slowly around her.

"You see, no offense Jay, but you probably never will. The gods don't care about us. They sleep with some mortal women and then boom, we're here. They use us to do their dirty work. Did you know that Percy met Poseidon though?"

Jay felt a pang of hurt hit her.

"What? When? Why?" she rambled.
She wanted to meet her dad. She felt jealousy creep up on her.

Luke nodded

"Percy has done many things for Poseidon. But what about you? He sent you away" he said.

Jay was startled.
How did he know about that??
She turned the thought over and over in her head.
It was true.

"But..Annabeth told me because it was the pact made by the big three.." she said meekly, her voice lingered with disappointment.

Luke sighed, his face sympathetic.

"Still. It isn't right Jay. That's why I brought you here. I want you to join me."

Jay tilted her head.

Join him?

What does he mean? A club about hating the gods?

"Join you in what?" she asked.

Luke took a deep breathe and looked the girl in the eyes.

"I'm rebelling against the gods. I'm going to overthrow Olympus. Create a safe future for us all and save more demigods by crippling the gods" he explained.

Jay stood a moment, thinking.

Luke stepped closer, so that he was only a few inches away.

"Don't tell anyone. This is between you and me only. Got it?" he whispered, the last few words sounding firm, and a little intimidating.

Jay looked up at him and nodded silently.

"I trust you though. Tell me your response when you decide" he explained, stepping back.

Jay looked over at the land

"Are you going back to camp?" she asked.

Luke bit his lip before answering.

"No. I'm not."

Jay felt her heart hurt.